1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender US Jazz Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickr, Jan 19, 2013.

1. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    Just a quick review...............I have been playing very high end basses for many years now. Not anymore for several reasons but:

I was recently in a Sam Ash and saw a basically NEW, Used usa Jazz Deluxe. It had a terrible setup on it but I was intrigued so I asked the sales person to get me the truss rod tool and an allen wrench. After a few minutes I had it setup well enough to want to take it home for a try (30 return policy)

Man, I have to say that this bass totally KILLS, after a bit more tweaking it plays like butter and sounds great, Love the neck (and the block inlays). This is a 2011 model and I am very impressed. I have never been a Fender fan but this bass is really quite nice.

Any one else have the same experience with Fenders recently?

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I have a 2011 MIA Jazz Deluxe that I am using as my main bass. It sounds and plays great.

Attached Files:

3. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    C'mon man. You know most of us are just here for the pretty pictures. :scowl:

Congrats on the bass, though. :D

4. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I recently bought one on line, and I too was impressed with the build quality and the sound. Mine was pretty well setup out of the box. The truss needed no adjustment and the action was pretty good, but I could still lower the strings a hair. Intonation was spot on. Aside from tweaking the pickup height, all that I've really done to improve it to my liking was to cut the nut slots a bit deeper. They weren't bad, but I like mine cut to a breath away from too low. It is very buttery soft to play.
    I'm considering a Hipshot A bridge for it. Not because I expect it to add a much different sound, but to be able to really dial in the string spacing.
    Like I said, mine was very nice out of the box. But after a little tweaking, it's really something else.

5. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    I bought a new Am Dlx J, (natural body/maple neck) recently, and it is wonderful! As is the Am Dlx P (natural/maple) I got last year.

6. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    I love mine! I bought a 2011 trans wine ash off a nice guy on here. Its so sweet! It just blows my mexijazz out of the water! The guy had the action set so nice I am scared to change the strings! they are like 2mm off the fretboard with no buzz! the neck is so straight! It plays like butter!

7. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    I also have an '11 USA Deluxe, black & maple, love it! that mid control hits a really good spot, and it's a beautifully addictive bass, very comfortable to play and the tone is awesome..

8. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    I kinda like mine in passive mode better. maybe my pickup height isnt right.

9. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Here's something about the N3 pups. You can scratch the graphics off with a thumbnail. I learned this by accident, but finished it deliberately.

10. micgtr71

micgtr71

Dec 4, 2012
    I agree. I love the feel/sound of the maple neck, but I prefer it in passive mode. Maybe it is because I am used to my passive MIA jazz that I have had for years.

11. Me too lol....:D

Anyways, I'm about three weeks in with mine and I can say this so far:
    Coming from a guy that played a Modulus for 14 years, this bass has dispelled all of my stereotypes about Fenders. Easy to set up looowwwww, and doesn't require beating the crap out of it to sound great.
    I'm still breaking it in, but so far it's proving to be a great playing, sounding, and versatile instrument.

[​IMG]

12. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    I love the way my 2011 looks and sounds. I got a V and after about 6 mos of owning it realized I'm not a 5string player anymore.

So now I'm saving for a 4string.
    The good thing. Is that my V is ash,maple. The new one is gonna have a rosewood board so ill be g2g. Best of both worlds.

13. Mine has become my beater rock bass....same as every other bass i own..
    It sounds chunky with chromes

haha but i love it, i have the black with maple board. Replaced the pickguard with tortoise and installed dimarzio model J's in creme, i primarily only use the neck pickup. I also sanded the neck cus to me the neck felt too...plastic. It has a fairly thin body finish as it is getting a little worn in.

Well put together bass.

14. I played a Ken Smith CR6 fer bout ever. Years an years. Few years ago I decided I was in love wit Geddy's 72 J. But I wasn't gonna lose my low B! Friend of mine works at Fender, sent me out a 2010 model black an maple Geddy 5. Out of box, action/intonation nailed. Sold the Smith almost next day. This the first new bass I bought in 20 yrs. Worth every penny an then some. The asymmetrical neck, wit compound radius board has spoiled me fer other necks. This thing plays itself. I also play it passive. There's just somethin bout a passive sound. I love the pre, but it isn't necessary. AT all! i've played many, many basses. This my fave! A lot of my friends have them. They all think same. btw, they stable, too. Mine went from Cali, to Detroit, to Charleston, SC and then to SLC, Utah. All in bout a two week period. Never went outta tune, an still never moves. No matter the temp, or my rough playin style.

15. cureyfreri

cureyfreri

Jan 20, 2013
    Not because I expect it to add a much different sound, but to be able to really dial in the string spacing.[​IMG][​IMG]

16. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    I have a 2008 MIA Fender Jazz V Deluxe finished in Olympic white , doesn't have the block inlays but it feels and plays and sounds damn nice.
    Must be something to do with the carbon fibre neck rods, the neck is so straight that i lowered the action a bit more.

17. JeffplaysBass

JeffplaysBass Inactive

Jan 22, 2011
    Mass
    enough talk, we get it they are Awesome..but....
    PICS!!!!! already..hehe :bassist::bassist::bassist:

18. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    RIGHT!

NP = NG !!!

19. Rumbledom

Rumbledom Inactive

Jan 19, 2013
    Check out the Squier J Deluxe. It's surprisingly awesome.

20. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey

+1

I tried one of these out last week. And I didn't care for the active electronics. Fender calls these "NOISELESS PICKUPS"? Have they actually listened to them? Because I heard a pretty distinct buzz from the American Deluxe 5 string Jazz bass I tried out in a music store that was surprisingly quiet.

Turning the preamp off helped. But then what's the point of having this bass? For the pretty block inlays and binding? Because I certainly don't think the active electronics were enough of a positive to make this bass a worthwhile purchase.

I also tried out an American Standard Jazz 5 string the very same day. The pickups were much quieter, and it played just as well as the Am Dlx Jazz 5. And mind you, this was in a Sam Ash store, where I do not have high expectations on instrument setups.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021