1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender US PB Deluxe and JB Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baxter_x, Jun 26, 2014.

1. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Hi all,

First, I'm not trying to start a new PB vs JB thread ;)
    The thing is I'm a long time Fender US PB Deluxe V player and I'm willing to buy a second bass so that I have a spare one on stage, just in case
    The PB is much much harder to find that the JB, espacially 5 strings models. So I'm thinking about getting a JB V as spare bass until I find a PB Deluxe V.
    My concern is about the sound the JB produces. Is it very different from the PB? I just want to make sure I won't have to completly re-EQ my amp in case I need to swap basses.

I have tried a several JB Deluxe V in the past and really liked it. But didn't try enough to really compare to the PB Deluxe V.

Feeedbacks will be appreciated.

Regards

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Considered the role played by (active) electronic in the sound of US Deluxe series, I'd tell you can buy the Deluxe Jazz sight unseen.
    Talkin' about passive US Standard Ps and Js, the difference between a single serial pickup and two parallel pickups is unmistakeable.

But as you'll have a full onboard three band equalizer on both options you can just tweak somethin' on your head eq if only need be.
    I'm serious: it's not that they'll sound the same, it's just that you won't be forced to capsize your settings with any of these basses.

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Thans for your nice answer. That was my assumption as the onboard EQ will allow me to tune equally both basses.

4. Remguy

Remguy

Mar 26, 2008
    Montreal
    You CAN just use the neck pickup on the JB to approximate(!) the sound of the PB. It does a reasonable(!) job in a pinch. You'd want to make sure you have humbucking pickups on the JB, of course. Who knows, you just might decide you like the sound of a Jazz... Good Luck, I'm sure it'll be fine - Remguy

5. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I'm ssure I will love the JB sound!
    However, I probably forgot to mention something: I own a 2002 PD Deluxe. The one that has the PB pickups PLUS the Bill Lawrence Humbucker pickup next to the bridge.

6. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I think I'd have bet about it

But that was considered for it's reknown that you need a humbucker at the bridge, at the least, to combine with the output of a center splitcoil. You know: regular P/Js show a bridge pickup usually overtaken by the split. A good start is to adopt a humbucker right there, even if aesthetically disputed.

Anyway: US Deluxe Jazzes bear Noiseless (actually "N3" series Noiseless) pickups. They are humcancellin' dualcoils, that's why they're much more camparable to a splitcoil than passive singles to a passive split. Then the onboard amp will do the rest.

On active (electronic) basses, the difference between a P (especially if a P/J) and a J bass is restricted to looks and body shape... and nut on 4ers. But as you're lookin' for a Deluxe 5er, nut stays 1,875" on both. One last thing is that your P bass has a 22 fret fingerboard, while present Deluxe versions have only 21 and now you'll find a very useful on/off toggle switch to bypass elctronic, that was always on on your Precision V.

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I won't have any active/passive switch on the JB as it's going to be an active bass only. Those made until 2008.
    The one you talk about are the new JB Deluxe.
    Tried one last week, and prefered by far the previous models.

Still, I don't really agree with you on one thing: The fact that both active JB and PB only have cosmetic differences.
    I remember the JB being a bit more present in the mids and the slap tone was just fantastic.

8. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Ok: now I got it.

So you'll find same 22 fret fingerboard and possibly Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups. They're dead quiet and really wonderfully "equalized", but they're also less output than previous Noiseless (the ones now on MIM deluxe series) and present N3.

In this case I tend to think your present P to result louder than the J bass youy're after.

Cheers,
    Wallace

baxter_x likes this.
  9. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Good to know!
    Thanks for these... precisions ;)