Fender US Vintage vs. Nordstrand NJ4?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kratekyle, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Hi all, just spent a few hours searching in pickups and didn't really find the info I was looking for.

I have a CIJ '75 ri with the US vintage pups. It sounds pretty nice and all, but I wonder if I'm missing out on anything.

I've read much on how you guys feel about Fender's MIM and MIA active and passive pups, but it seems that not as much is written about the US vintage pups. Most of the info I have found on this is related to the Geddy Lee sig. which if I am not mistaken, came with 2 versions of these pups (the Japanese vintage pups in the standard version, and the US vintage pups in the limited edition). Rarely do people mention which one is being discussed. Most of you feel both of these sound good. HOWEVER,

I have been giving serious thought to aftermarket pups. After reading the various shootouts, I am the most attracted to Nordstrand's NJ4's. The problem is that since the pups I currently have are so rarely talked about in detail, I don't know how they stack up against each other. I love the passive sound and play through an Ampeg B-100r.

Would it (probably) be worth it for me to shell out $150 for the Nordstrands?
    Will I hear a noticeable difference in the quality of tone compared to what I have now?

P.S. sorry for the wordy post, but I'm trying to be crystal clear in my questions.
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Don't forget Fralins. The set that came in my Lakland JO is terrific.
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I have experience with both. You have a PM.
  4. I've never really been impressed with anything fender ever made. Nordstrands are deffinitely better than any fender pickups (dimarzio's and duncan's too)