1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender USA 60th Anniversary vs Fender Professional?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmone, May 16, 2018 at 3:44 PM.

1. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Hope this is a simple question. I see one on my local classifieds but it's much cheaper than a regular MIA Fender P bass. Is there a reason this bass is not worth as much? QC issues? Lesser known model?

Thanks,

2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Fender is great for offering 'Anniversary Models' ... the 60th Anniversary of Fender (2006), of which there are specific Precision and Jazz 'Anniversary' models, as well as a MIM Standard version, and then everything else offered in that year got the commemorative medallion as well ... the 60th Anniversary of the Precision (2011), with a specific Anniversary model, but all the Precisions received the commemorative neck plate ...

Which are you referring to ? ;)

Lobster11 and jmone like this.
  3. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Jeez....It's a PBass and the back of the headstock says "American Special" ? Does that help?

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    So it is likely a 2011 serial #, American Special P Bass with the 60th Anniversary neck plate? ... if that is the case, American Specials are what the Highway One series morphed into, 2011 was the introductory year for the American Special, and every P that was put out got the commemorative neck plate ... which one does it look more like? (style, not color)

Attached Files:

jmone likes this.
  5. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    The second one for sure. It has the neck plate as well. How does it compare to the regular MIA P basses?

Attached Files:

6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Ok, then it is not a '60th Anniversary 'model', that is the bass in the other pic, a specific model designated as THE Anniversary Model ... it was produced as shown and in sunburst ... as mentioned above, every precision produced in 2011 model year received that commemorative neck plate, other than that, there is nothing special about the bass, just all the specs normally associated with each particular model ...

... this is a 'regular' MIA P Bass, just a different model, with hardware comparable to the MIM Standards (bridge & machines), no string thru body, etc. ... in essence, when the Hwy One was discontinued (they did both run for a model year), these were what the Hwy became (with a price increase of course), minus the BAII bridge, and a gloss poly finish vs. the satin nitro on the Hwy One ... they sold new for several hundred $$ less than the American Standards at the time ...

keto and Lobster11 like this.
  7. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010

Perfect! Thank you for shedding some light on this! Any guess what they're worth on the secondary market?

8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    JMHO, as always, but probably $6-700 range (+/-), depending on condition of course, and on the higher end of that only if there is a decent hardshell case involved ... nice basses, but I am less then enthused about them personally, as I am not a fan of Fender heel adjust truss rods, and although these necks are generally slightly thinner (front to back) than American Standards, they still aren't my favs ... I liked the Hwy Ones better (once I dumped the BAII), the Hwy 1's even more ... but one nice thing about the American Specials over the Hwy One series, is that the AmSpecs were offered with maple fretboards ... I should mention, the American Specials did come stock with GreaseBucket tone circuitry ... same as the Hwy Ones ...

jmone likes this.
  9. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    You've been a ton of help! Thank you very much!