Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender USA Deluxe + Sadowsky Pre?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Avs, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Avs

Avs

Feb 19, 2001
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Hi bass buddies,
    I have a '96 Fender USA Deluxe fretless jazz. I think the bass-mid-treble control is ok though i don't use the middle control at all; not my taste. I boost bass a bit and lean more to the bridge pickup. The tone is closer to an acoustic, which is what i like, but it doesn't provide enough "electric" bass feel for me. it's not very "jass bass" feel to me either (maybe because of the fact fretless?). I am thinking using a Sadowsky preamp and/or even use Sadowsky pickup. Just try and test the tone difference. Can anyone have this experience or comments on both/either USA Deluxe or Sadowsky?
    Thanks!:)

2. Since my Sadowsky is in the shop (removing a ding and getting a clear pickup cover installed), I used my '72 Jazz and Sadowsky outboard preamp over the weekend. I started with just the Jazz but it just didn't have enuf "something". I added and the Sadowsky preamp and that fixed it - more round, full and punchy. I like how the Sadowsky doesn't color the tone and affect the character of the instrument - just adds more bass and/or treble.

While it was fun playing the Fender, I can't wait to get the Sadowsky back!

Jeff

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Adding more bass and treble isn't coloring the tone?:confused::confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm not big on active EQ in the first place, but it seems silly to me to put two active EQs in series right one after the other. I think you should be able to get the tone you want with the EQ on your bass amp.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I use the Sadowsky Outboard with my passive Jazz. It takes the Jazz sound and just tightens and tweaks it a bit. I don't know about using it with an active system already in place though. I don't think that it was designed for that although on the Sadowsky site they say that some people have tried that setup and found it to their liking. IMHO my passive Jazz with the Sadowsky sounds better than just about any stock Fender active circuits, including MIA dlx's. As with all tone issues though, YMMV.

5. Guess it depends on your definition. For me, adding the Sadowsky pre to my Fender retains the Fender sound, with just more bass and treble options. It doesn't make the Fender sound like something else...

Jeff

6. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    cant wait to see that :cool:

maybe you would rather upgrade the pickups?

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I highly recomend getting the Sadowsky preamp. I'm going to be putting the OnBoard premap in a LakLand SkyLine bass when I receive it & I have 3 Sadowsky's & I feel that they're the best sounding basses I've ever played.

Personally, I've always like the pickups in the older MIA DLX Jazz basses (5 large poles on each pickup). Even when I played the bass with the EQ flat, I felt the pickups sounded good. I really don't like the pickups in the newer MIA DLX's (Noisless), but thast's a matter of opinion.

Also, I'm a huge fan of EMG pickups & the combo of the EMG"S & Sadowsky preamp id KILLER!!!!! I have this in my 24 fret 5 string & it's my favorite bass by far!!!!

I saw it toady & it looked GREAT!!!!!

8. Avs

Avs

Feb 19, 2001
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Thanks for all your input.

I didn't make it very clear in one thing: I will replace the original Suhr circuit if I use a Sadowsky preamp, so I'm not using two preamps. Yes, that might be too much.

Does anybody feel the older Deluxe Jazz lack of bottom?

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hey I wonder how two Sadowsky preamps wired one after another would sound! :D Maybe even BETTER! :)

Maybe I need a better amp instead.... ;)

Or work on my technique? Naaah.:p

10. I got a Sadowsky Outboard Preamp/DI a couple of weeks ago to use with my Jazz Relic w/ultra jazz pickups(passive) & it made it sound really good. Today, out of courosity I pluged my Stingray 4 into the Sadowsky Preamp. It sounded great before but with the preamp it sounded even more better than before. Let your ears be the test. I know mine are geting old & worn out, but it did sound great. Oh, by the way, it makes a great double bass preamp too.