TRADED Fender USA Jaco Artist Series Bass w/OHSC

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Manny Bernardez, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Manny Bernardez

Manny Bernardez Supporting Member

May 30, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    Price:
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    United States
    Another of my basses is going up for sale as I thin the heard to redirect funds to other musical purchases. This beautiful, lyrical, American made specimen of the Fender Artist Series kind has been lightly used by me (original owner). All it has is a single dent near the jack (pictured below).The finish is Nitrocellulose which ages quite nicely. But it's more delicate to wear and tear. The fretboard has normal wear, is it came with flats which I kept for a while to get a more upright tone. I then went all Uhm... Jaco with it and put Roundwounds. And of course, once I did that the trademark "mwah" came out in spades. I also decided to install the tort pickguard for a more classic look. And lastly added the copper bridge grounding strip cause it's both functional and just looks plain cool (all these items came with the instrument case-candy). BTW All the case candy is included as well: bridge and neck covers, 1/4 inch cable, strap, adhesive foam mute, etc...

When it comes down to sound, this bass can do more than just the Jaco tone. The neck pickup renders a very deep, round woody tone. If you couple that with a foam mute you can get real good upright-ish tones. Another thing of note is that all the open strings ring tighter and more defined than many Jazz Basses I've tried.

Selling for $1,350.00 (PAYPAL preferred)
    Price includes insured FedEx shipping within the continental US.

Check out the sound sample I recorded below so you can hear the tone this thing has.

SPECS:

BODY: Select Alder
    FINISH: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
    PICKUPS: American Vintage Single-Coil Jazz Bass
    CONTROLS: VVT
    NECK: Maple
    FINGERBOARD: Pau Ferro
    PICKGUARD: 4-ply tortoiseshell
    CASE: Original Tan and Gold Hardshell Case with all the case candy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    BSR6P-Bob, rbeck47, tomshepp and 5 others like this.
  2. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Own one, love it, GLWTS

Manny Bernardez likes this.
  3. Manny Bernardez

May 30, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    I realized that even tho I wrote as to how warm and woody this bass can sound with the neck pickup solo'd. The recording I did was entirely favoring the back pickup (cause well Jaco and what not). So here's a little except that shows the cojones this fellah has with just that front pick up.

Attached Files:

Joshua and SlowpokeJoe like this.
  4. Matt Watson

Matt Watson

Aug 18, 2019
    Good Morning Manny,
    I was wondering what year this bass was manufactured?
    Are there any other issues with the bass other than the ding by the 1/4 inch jack?
    How long have you been using round wounds on the bass and have they dug into the neck very much?
    And finally would you be willing to consider 1300.00 for the sale?

Thank you, Matt Watson
    If you need to contact me by phone I am at 719-207-1144
    I will be busy until about 1:00 your time this morning and won't be able to respond to email until then.

5. Manny Bernardez

May 30, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    Uploading a few more picts to show the overall light wear of the bass. Also I discovered two tiny dings that were hidden by the lighting on my first set of photos (Sorry about that folks they were new to me too). Also including picts of the case, case candy inside. A good dusting, and polishing will leave this bass in perfect condition (minus the three dings in the body). Hope this helps some of you out there!

Attached Files:

6. Manny Bernardez

May 30, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Matt,
    Going to answer all bass related questions here because it will help others learn more about the bass and it's condition. But I will reply privately to your offer :)

I bought this bass new in 2014, so the instrument is probably a 2013/14. Made in the USA. As far as I know this seems to be one of the few Artist series that are USA made. As the rest seem to be MIJ and MIM. Also check the detailed photos I just posted that show two very small dings that were not very apparent when I first took photos of the bass. Nitrocellulose finish is definitely relic prone. But man it's oh sooooo nice and I feel makes the instrument more resonant than the poly finish.

I had the bass strung with Flats for 2 years, then I went to halfrounds... Hated those... So back to Flats (like that same day) then put roundwounds I would say somewhere in 2018. But this bass wasn't played that much to be honest (I have a big-ish bass collection). Which is why it needs a new home and someone who will put more hours into playing it. It sounds fantastic and the action is impeccably set.

7. Matt Watson

Matt Watson

Aug 18, 2019
    Hi Manny,
    I am back at my home where I can be reached if you need to message me here or call.
    I looked at the pics of the other dings, thanks for posting those.
    I noticed what might be a small dent on the back of the neck. Are there any dents/scratches on the neck that are noticeable when you are playing(something that would grab or catch on your skin)?
    I didn't see a private message about my offer. You may not have sent it yet but if you have I can't find it.
    I usually buy my gear off of Reverb so am new to using Talkbass and may not know how to find it.
    Thanks, Matt
    PS- thanks for posting the audio tracks as about half of what I play is Latin Jazz and that second track you posted is close to the sound I use for that type of music.

8. Manny Bernardez

May 30, 2015
    Los Angeles, CA
    Matt,
    Neck is in perfect pristine condition. Not sure what it is that you are seeing in the photos. Could it be the light reflections on the nitro surface perhaps? It’s a lovely neck and very resonant bass. I would not part ways with it would it not be for the fact that I have 20+ basses in my collection.

9. Speterc

Speterc

May 22, 2017
    Man, your playing in that first clip really put a smile on my face.

Glwts, beautiful bass.

Shawn

Ricky Rioli and Manny Bernardez like this.
  10. Kim Jong Funk

Kim Jong Funk

Jun 15, 2014
    Illadelphia
    Chiming in to say that I have one of these and it sings. A really, really great fretless. GLWTS!

Manny Bernardez likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021