Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender USA Jazz or Deluxe FMT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Samelot, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Samelot

Samelot

Jun 23, 2005
    hi, im going to buy my second bass, i have already purchased a butterscotch fender american jazz, but now im having second thoughts. Im asking myself, should i return my fender american jazz for the deluxe fmt, and wait about 3 months to buy it. Is it that much better in sound and everything.??

2. Samelot

Samelot

Jun 23, 2005
    anyone?

3. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I have an American Deluxe QMT, and I can tell you from my own experience that the attention to detail in the build quality is better, and from what I've heard more consistant. I especially like the wider tonal range available with the active electronics, the neck binding, and the block inlays.

Oh, and the gold plated hardware and the golden headstock logo are pretty cool too...... :D

4. Samelot

Samelot

Jun 23, 2005
    yea, i might just stick with this one

5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    this bass is amazing,like a Playmate ;)

6. you should check out 4string4ever's bass. it looks killer.

7. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Here she is.

Attached Files:

8. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    basically what it narrows down to is if you like active or passive pickups. I have the MIA deluxe and I absolutely love it I chose it over a sterling and a stingray IMO it blew away all of its active electronic compeditors

heres a pic of mine ;)

also the gradation from the red into the honey wood collor isnt as harsh when seen in real life , its more of a gradual change the pic just came out bad

Attached Files:

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    They all have passive pickups.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have an FMT (what would now be called a QMT, but they were all Figured Maple Tops when they first came out). It gets gigged at least as often as my 55-94. Very versatile, excellent tone. Looks pretty decent as well. I'd show you a picture, but my fabulous Gold Supporting Membership ran out temporarily, so I'm 13 MB over my quota.

OK, a little skullduggery, and I think I can get it to show.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14921

11. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Hi,first,congratulations,you have a beauty as a bass,second why you choose this Fender Jazz over MM StingRay? i have this dilema,which bass i buying,i feel comfortable playing jazzes,my last was 90 and was stolen,and i never try a StingRay am very confuss on why bass is right for me,you answer may help me a lot,thank,s and again excuse my english.

12. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    well bassically I went to GC ready to get a MM something and I thought the MM stingray was perfect and then I picked up the MIA Jazz deluxe and it put it to shame , for a few reasons. First of all both had active pre amps but the MIA had much much more tonal variety and I could get so many different sounds I was amazed! with the stingray on the other hand ....you could messe around with the EQ but it still had one sound that it stuck with weather you cut down on the bass and boost treble or crank your mids it still kept one bassic sound with all those changes. So bassically the jazz had more versatility and I also thought it felt so great in my hands and it just played so smoothely , also it had a great slap tone.....so yeah...you can also read my review in the reviews section

13. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    ok thank you and now i go to the riviews sec to read your and others,i imagine that,yuo choose the Jazz for the versatility mainly,and the Jazz is more easy to play,but if you can choose strong sound you choose the MM,thank,s again and Jazz is maybe my best option right now,oh right not a basic Jazz,i go for a Jazz Bass American Deluxe 2005 or 2006,i still waiting for the NAMM convention in Indiana and before the new geas come out i decide why bass is go to be my main axe. :bassist: