1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender USA P Bass: Standard vs. Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GWFA, Nov 1, 2010.

1. GWFA

GWFA

Oct 21, 2010
    I was wondering if I could get some input from people, i'm saving for a new bass, I have it down to these 2, is the deluxe really worth the extra money? Also, I heard they changed the pickups this year, is the update worth buying new? (I had planned to buy a used one) any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I was sad when I saw that they took out the bridge humbucker. i cant imagine the new model sounds anywhere near as a cool as the older Deluxe.

3. me too i thought the old deluxes were special,the new ones are obviously not too hard to mod ourselves.

4. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I think the new Deluxe P is totally worth the extra money, I know that the post-2008 American standards were almost universally awesome (I owned two, one that was stolen and one that I bought to replace it, and I shopped around both times), definitely worth their price and the new Deluxes are the same thing except they also have a Jazz bridge pickup and an active/passive switch (something the old Deluxe lacked). The new Deluxe is a classic just waiting for enough time to pass so Fender can discontinue it and everyone who didn't buy one can lament their passing. If I'd had an extra few hundred this time around I would have bought one for certain. It's not a lot of extra dough for some extra awesomeness...

EDIT: The only thing it's missing IMHO is a five string option...

5. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Man, a lot of this comes down to your tonal goals. My '08 MIA P does it for me..... but I have other basses for other tonal goals...... but the one thing about a good passive P is that it's tone works pretty well for everything.

6. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    GO FOR THE DLX!!!!!!!

It can be almost the same as the regular old P if not the same entirely (passive/active switch), BUT it also has more (a LOT more) tones, and one more fret will never hurt you =)

7. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    +1 I have an older ('97) Deluxe and it's my main 4 string stage Bass !