Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender USA P, Fender CIJ P, or Lakland Skyline Glaub

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassguppy, Jun 12, 2005.

1. What would you choose? considering build quality & price. Maple/Rosewood-Alder/Ash doesn't matter. I have played the Fender USA & Glaub and for my comparison both were great. Are any one of these a clear leader? Is the Fender USA worth $300-$400 more than the CIJ?

All opinions welcome!!!!

:bassist:

2. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I for one prefer the USA Fender and Glaub to what little CIJ stuff I've tried. If you want to hold the bass and expect it to appreciate in 20 years get the Fender. If you want a less expensive '62 RI, get the Glaub.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Gotta use your hands and ears to choose, but I can tell you for sure that the MIA Fender P is a very solid bass, and sounds good both live and on tape.

4. If you get to play them all first hand, I guess pick the one that plays and sounds best to you. Sight unseen, I'd definitely go with the Lakland Glaub, Fender quality control leaves a lot to be desired.

That said, I'd get the Glaub, the CIJ, then the American in that order. In my experience, the CIJ fenders are at least as good as their american counterparts.

5. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    I dont Know for others, but IMO My Fender Japan PB70-85US Beats the Hell out of American P basses... and now with a Badass II Bridge i have removed most of the insecure elements of the bass, wich IMO is the Bridge and Maby The Tuners(but this far they have kept the tuning pretty well) i think i feel that Becouse the rest of the Bass Sounds and Feel quality, and its hard for me to believe that i got such an amazing bass for such a cheap price..

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have played the Glaub and I think it is a great bass and well worth the money. I have to admit that I have a slight bias to Fender and I think a good Fender is still the best P-bass by far. I would also recommend looking at MIM Fenders because you never know when you will find a real jewel at a super low price.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I LOVE the Glaub.

If I weren't married and have two basses on order already, I'd get one, even though I sure don't need it. :D

MIA Fenders are pretty consistent, but I thought the Glaub had a really solid feel to it, and a great neck. I haven't played a CIJ P bass, but most people here feel they're a great value.

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I don't know much about the current CIJ P, so I'll compare the Glaub and American Series P. I own the latter.

The MIA Fender has several features I like: hardshell case; graphite reinforced neck; rolled fretboard edges; medium jumbo frets; and the 1 5/8" nut width. It also has the S-1 switch, but I find that feature more useful on the Jazz. Who wants to thin out the tone on a P? :confused: But I guess it could be useful to some, especially for recording.

The Fenders are also built extremely well. I know some complain about Am. Ser. quality, but I think the recent ones are great, and I own three: 2004 P, 2003 J, and 2004 Strat.

By contrast, the Lakland doesn't have the rolled fingerboard edges, and has more vintage style narrow fretwire. Some probably prefer this, but I prefer the feel of the Fender. The Glaub also lacks graphite reinforcement bars. (Lakland's website has indicated otherwise lately, but only the Skyline fivers have graphite bars. I confirmed this with an e-mail to Dan Lakin.)

The Lakland has some advantages, mostly the awesome Lindy Fralin pickup and the option of a Jazz width neck (1.5" at the nut). (Otherwise the neck is like pre-1973 Fenders, with 1.75" nut width.) The Lakland bridge design also looks cool, but I don't know whether it has any functional advantages.

If you want the Jazz nut width, the Lakland is the only choice. Otherwise, I think the Fender is a better value, and it will play easier than a 1.75" nut width Lakland to many, myself included. And if you're not happy with the tone (which is decent but not stellar IMO), you could upgrade the pickup later.

I liked the tone of my stock 2004 P, especially in the context of a band, but wanted more punch. So I got a DiMarzio Model P, which solved that problem, but I probably should have gone with an overwound Fralin to retain a more vintage vibe. Fralin makes great pickups, as I'm learning with the new set in my Jazz.

9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Actually Lakland only offers the jazz necks for the USA made Glaubs now, not the skylines.

I was in your same position a while back. I wanted a high quality passive P-bass and it was between a USA Fender and a Skyline Glaub. It broke down like this:

USA Fender P $950

+ graphite rods in neck
    + series/parallel switch (parallel=normal)(series=brighter)
    + comes with hardcase

- Fender is the Wal-mart of guitars. Their quality control is lacking and if you did have a problem you would be dealing with a huge, soulless company. :spit:

Skyline Glaub $850

+ slightly wider neck (a plus to me)
    + the much praised Lindy Fralin pu's
    + impeccable quality control and great customer service
    + heavier bridge
    + vintage frets (less of a clacking noise when the string hits the fret)

- no graphite rods
    - no case (but $100 cheaper so it evens out)

I chose the Glaub. The only quip I have with it is I wish it had graphite rods like all the Skyline 5's do. A series/parallel switch is completely worthless to me on a P-bass. The whole reason I play a P-bass is so my pick tone isn't too trebley and still has some balls.

10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

There's a sweet Glaub in the classified section right now. Nice color, small neck (I think).

11. I should say that all the american Fenders I've owned (1 P and 1 J) have been from '96-'98, so YMMV.

12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    That's really a bummer if Lakland has dropped the 1.5" nut from the Skyline Glaub. :( According to the web site, even the U.S. Glaub is only 1.75" now, but as I've learned the revised site contains mistakes. So maybe there's hope. Or maybe I just need a U.S. Glaub with Jazz neck and P/J pickups. ;)

I know Fender gets a bad rap for customer service, but I think one's experience can have more to do with the dealer than Fender. If your dealer has a good rep and works with (or is) a good authorized Fender service center, you should be fine. The neck on my Jazz developed a twist after about five months, and luckily my dealer was plugged in with an excellent Fender service center. I had a brand new neck and PERFECT setup within three weeks. In fact, the new neck is more resonant than the original, so I've ended up with a much better bass.

I largely agree with your math about the value, assuming one is forced to pay the standard $949 for an American Series Fender. (And many are.) But if you avoid the large chains and find a local shop that's real cozy with its Fender rep, better deals can be found. I bought a 2004 MIA P last fall for $700, brand new, from a very reputable shop. At that price, it was a no-brainer.

But hey, nobody's going to go wrong with a Skyline Glaub. If you want the 1.75" nut, it's the way to go, no question.

13. louelou

louelou

Apr 20, 2005
    IMO The MIM Fender's set up properly, and with the addition of the Badass bridge is unstoppable.