FENDER USA REFUSE TO GIVE BYRON LEE MILLER A BASS

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cflat, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howdy fellow bassists...this is ridiculous...

ONE OF THE MOST FAMOUS BASS PLAYERS OUT THERE, AFTER PLAYING FENDERS FOREVER..SEE THE RESPONSE FROM FENDER BELOW..

PASS THIS ON...THIS IS RIDICULOUS..

BYRON LEE MILLER...says.....

This is what I got from Fender when I inquired about getting a new 5 string from them. I'm sorry Byron but your current profile is not in line with the type of artists we are offering artist agreements and support. I am aware of your talent and past success/accomplishments but here is the current criteria we are using:

. BRAND LOYALTY: It i
    s crucial that the bands/musician have a strong long-term documented association to our brands

. MEDIA PRESENCE: It is important that the band/musician has a strong and consistent national/international TV /Internet & print presence.

. LABEL SUPPORT: We are looking to acts that have an existing relationship with a Major or High profile Independent recording label.

. MANAGEMENT: We are looking for musicians/bands that have an established management relationship.

. TOURING HISTORY: We are looking for musicians/band that have toured both nationally and internationally as a headliner or supported a recognized act.

. NATIONAL VISIBILITY: Have you broken out of a regional scene and established national recognition/support? ( Can anyone say REACH FOR IT)

2. domdec314

domdec314 Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
  3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It sounds like business to me. Byron Miller is a wonderful player who played on some great records but I guess Fender wants someone who is hot now.

5. Look him up...Stanley Clarke says.... The solos you played on George Duke's "Reach for it" Album should have awarded you a life time of instruments without a question...!!!!!!! I will never deal with them...!

6. That bit of stupidity is very true..for the cost of one bass to a famous player , some idiot has created incalcuable 'bad will' amongst bass players in the last 12 hours.

7. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    You do realize that in America, businesses are not obligated to give free goods to anybody simply because the masses say so?

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

+1.

I don't see why I should care or you for that matter but to each his own.

9. ishkabibble

ishkabibble

May 10, 2010
    San Dimas, CA
    I'm not finding anything about that. Where'd you read that?

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  11. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    Endorsement deals are tricky. Companies want someone whose profile is going to have a positive impact on their brand. I've got only a couple of friends amongst hundreds of people I've played with over the years who have gotten significant attention which would merit an endorsement. And these guys are touring, recording, playing sideman gigs, holding clinics, and getting on television. They have to WORK for that deal. But it's also worth noting that sometimes having a personal relationship with someone in artist relations can help things along.

And very often an endorsement doesn't mean that players will instruments or other gear for free. It may translate to gear at manufacturer or dealer cost. As for an endorsement from Fender? Check out the Artists page on the Fender website. It's not that big of a list, and the players on that roster have significant or up and coming profiles.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I just went on Byron Lee Miller's FB page and saw nothing about it. Where's it posted?

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    With all due respect you seem to not understand the basics of how a artist sells instruments for companies. And Byron was not asking for a bass from Fender out of the blue, he has history with the Fender company. Byron is more than deserving of a bass and for the record Byron has purchased many of the over 20 Fender basses that he owns.

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Never heard of the guy before.

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

So... he has/had a deal with Fender already?

I realize it is kind of ridiculous on Fenders part but I doubt it will sell them any more or less basses regardless of the endorsement. I have seen players with far less credentials get Fender endorsee status.

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Yes.

17. DiabolusInMusic

So he got dropped? Is that what this guy is freaking out about? Or has he not been with them for a while? Or are we all just getting trolled?

18. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Really, people? No one "deserves" a free bass.

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

No ones getting trolled.

Byron has a long standing relationship with Fender and inquiries about a bass, but instead he get's a formal letter from Fender stating that for him to get an endorsement you have to fit a certain criteria.

Byron fits the entire criteria while already being an endorser.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I see now where I went wrong...wasn't friends with him on FB and apparently I can see some stuff but not all of his posts.

Well that is not nice. On one hand, he probably has already got plenty of free ones ;) but to send a guy like him a standard rejection form like that to a longtime heavy duty endorser like him isn't cool. True, he's not a huge name, but he's pretty heavy, he's always used Fenders that I can remember, and he deserves better than that. A misunderstanding, maybe? Or is it some college punk running Fender AR now?

21. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    It was probably a mistake then.

A few years ago Nike decided to change their endorsement strategy and dropped almost all of their tennis players unless they were top ten ( with one or two exceptions, like Agassi). This meant a ton of guys lost their deals overnight. It could be that Fender is realizing that these lesser known guys are of no benefit to them. Still, a form letter to someone who is already on board is an insult.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.