1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender V-er question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thiessen3.14, Jan 24, 2012.

1. thiessen3.14

thiessen3.14 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2002
    wichita, ks
    I'm wondering why Fender puts 2 string retainers on the 4+1 headstocks. It seems to me that 1 normally positioned tree for the A and D strings would be sufficient. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Matt

2. Because it gives a little more consistent break-over angles at the nut for each string. The B/E/A are pretty close, the D/G are pretty close.

As to how much that helps, I can't really say, but a lot of high-end builders keep them close or the same.

3. thiessen3.14

Nov 22, 2002
    wichita, ks
    That seems to make sense. However, if consistency of break angle is so important then why don't people add one for the A string on a 4 string Fender-type headstock?

4. thiessen3.14

Nov 22, 2002
    wichita, ks
    I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's that important for the G.

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    On a typical Fender-style headstock, the break angle on the G string is far from optimum. The further the tuner is from the nut, the worse the break angle becomes. That's precisely why a number of builders use an angled headstock.

6. He's talking about the 4+1 headstock with the G-string tuner on the underside...

Some builders offer an angled headstock, but many do not; Sadowsky, Lakland, and even Fodera has a flat headstock (the Fodera "Standard" series).

I built a Warmoth Deluxe 5 a few years ago and used a 3-string retainer from Hipshot on the E/A/D strings and let the B/G strings go straight to the post. No problems on that one. That's very common, too. It depends entirely on the specific design and how far the posts are from the nut.

7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Sorry - I wasn't being specific to his question. I was answering in general about the use of string hold-downs. Perhaps I ahould have answered the question being asked -doh!

8. No problem. I definitely agree that the typical Fender headstock would be a huge problem without a string retainer on the G-string. However, in this specific case, the G-string tuner is moved much closer to the nut.

I do very much love the angled headstocks that I have, but I've never had any problems with my flat headstocks - as long as they have sufficient retainers close enough to the nut.