1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender V Musicman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chikn, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Fender Jazz

163 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. Musicman Stingray

126 vote(s)
    43.6%
  1. Chikn

Chikn

Mar 27, 2009
    Hey
    Im new here and looking into buying a new bass, im not super good and not super rich, so, i picked out the 2 basses i like most, little help from here?
    Fender Jazz
    Musican Stingray (4 strings)
    I generaly play rock/light rock/ everything
    Cheers

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They're both uncontested as great basses for rock. What I'd do, seriously, is go play a few of each at a music store and then buy the one that feels most comfortable in your hands.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is truly an apples or oranges question. The only really good answer, IMO, is so save and get both, if really like both.

4. Get the Stingray. Come looking for me if you don't like it. It's all subjective, but I had a Stingray four-string before I had to :bawl: sell it "thanks" to the stuff life flung at me: As a boy-child funk-rocker, I fell in love (and thus died a bit later) immediately with that MONSTER: That bass cuts through the mix with the most authoritative sound you could ask for. Ain't no ego-trippin' guitarist in the world that can "beat" that, unless you've got an underpowered rig. And, just like the Jazz, it's no one-trick-pony; forget the nonsense you might hear/read.

I put my money and fingers where my mouth is: Now that thangs are a tad better, I replaced my great loss--I have a Stingray5, OTW virtually identical to my old one (new one's got one more fret): One HB, Jet Black Bod,' Maple board. To me, nothing touches the funk this monster puts out, with a little help from me and my amps. And I'll add that, to my ears, nothing sounds as sweet as playing some of that softer stuff you're referring to with the EQ mellowed out.

While I use my Warwick for most of my melodic, folksy etc. stuff, with the active EQ, even my freaky-styley Stingray5 can be tweaked to sound mellow. Don't let anybody tell you any different! I just suffer from chronic GAS and succumb to it often, and thus happily own the Warwick too. I'm fixin' to get another bass real soon.

With all that said, MM has diversified the Stingray options immensely. You can now get a Stingray or Stingray5 with two HBs (imagine the old one, but with another toward the neck), with One bridge HB and one neck Jazz-like pup, piezo options. That configuration might fit your musical prefs better and would unquestionably whip any Fender Jazz. My Opinion.

Hurtin' for money? I think we can all relate. I don't work for these peeps, but The Perfect Bass has an A+ BBB rating (check the Baton Rouge, LA BBB) and, as a sign of the times, have a layaway plan. No extra charge, just a little extra time until you get your bass, allowing you to stay alive in the meanwhile This is how I bought my bass. If you end up going for the Stingray, call them, ask for James Bethea the CEO and tell 'em that Dr Hill from Saint Louis requested that he speak with you. We've had some long chats; he's an honest, humble man: He'll speak with you. Again, I get no kickbacks from this: I'm writing from the heart. Also, if you buy from TPB, wait until one of their sales. Their gear's already cheaper than the usual suspects' (most is high-end, but so is MM), and around various holidays or whatever, they'll discount everything for fifteen-percent or so. Do some comparison shopping; I did. Then wait 'til the next sale.

And, yes, they sell Fender too.

Good luck.

5. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    This is like asking what you should eat for dinner.

Both basses are awesome, choose the one YOU like more.

6. The Jazz has a smoother warmer tone but doesn't have as much heft behind it., The MM is more punchy and has that buzz saw quality. If you do any slap the MM seems to have a higher 'click' to its percussive tone, the jazz slap is kinda more middy.

For your heavier rock->MM, light rock->jazz, everything->jazz.

The jazz has a more generic sound which is good if you're a session style, 'play the right notes' kinda player where the MM is better if you want a more distinctive and original sound. So it really depends where your music is coming from. Personally my only bass for about 8 years was my Music Man Sabre for a huge range of different styles of music, and I kinda regret being stuck with the one tone for ages. I've done a bit of experimenting in the last few years and now have a Jag and Ric.

Get the Jazz.

Then get the MM.

and then the......

7. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    the only obvious answer is BOTH!!!

DSCF0086-1.
    DSCF0091.

but seriously man, two very different sounds for sure. Here are 2 examples of great Jazz and Stingray players and the different sounds they can achieve:

Jazz

8. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I've played Fender Jazz bass for 30 years. They just fit my hands good and I love the tone. I had one of the original StingRays I got in a trade. I found it big and heavy and clunky feeling in my hands. Never could figure out what the big deal was all about with these basses. I don't know if they would be all that popular if it was'nt for Flea. Great tone if all you do is slap and pop. Just my two cents.

9. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    man there are a lot of great players out there who dont slap and pop rays and get great tones. To include Cliff Williams, Flea, Jeff Caxide, and Justin Chancellor

IMO it can go from funk to rock to metal no problem.

10. Martizmo

Martizmo

Mar 26, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    Why Would you compare a Jazz With A Stingray? I would rather compare a P-bass then a Jazz. For one, the Jazz neck is tiny compared to the fat p-bass and sting ray necks. These fat necks contribute to overall tone. The jazz pickups are also completely opposite tones, i would think a p-bass would be a little closer in tone then a jazz. Comparing the two is like comparing a strat to a les paul.

11. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    A big consideration is what you like in a neck. You can't go wrong with either bass, both excellent choices. I personally prefer a stingray, for the more aggressive tone and the fat neck, but I love me a good jazz bass also.

12. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    If you like the neck of the Jazz and the tone of the Stingray you might want to consider a Sterling.

They each have their own signature sound. I think the Jazz bass is cutting but pleasant with a fair amount of lows, mids and highs especially with a preamp.

The Stingray is built for punch. It cuts through a dense mix and IMO is more of an out front kind of bass.

Honestly you couldn't go wrong with either but you might have to consider what type of player you want to become (out front guy or laid back groove guy).

If you like to do modifications or think you might down the road, Fender basses have a lot more options for modifications. Pickups, electronics, preamps, pickguards, bridges you name it. Fender basses are probably the most modifiable basses around.

13. Martizmo

Martizmo

Mar 26, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    The Stingrays are fully loaded. The Jazz bass is like buying a stock Harley Davidson. If you buy a special or limited edition you wont do a thing to it. If its a production model, you will be installing all kinds of goodys (which is fun), which adds some costs.

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Don't listen to any of the other posts. Just listen to me. :)

Stingray HS.

You can split the humbucker into a J pickup and you get the best of both worlds along with an added ton of versatility.

I've owned a handful of Fenders (american and imports) and my MMs all seem to have a lot more meat to them. also have way better quality control and customer service. I'd like to say that that's IMO but I actually think it's a undisputable fact.

Anyway - with my stingray I get the stingray sound, some pretty convincing jazz tones, plus lots and lots of other great gooey funky dubby and/or sizzly sounds. I also like an added mid control. Jazz bass will NEVER get a stingray sound.

That's all.

15. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    P-bass. oops.

16. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Wouldn't the HH put you into P bass range as well? I'd say go with whichever one strikes your fancy the most. Over time you'll probably own one or the other at different times and you'll have a good idea of which you'd prefer. I've been playing since around '80 and I still don't have a single favorite configuration.

17. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I was joking about the P-bass, but for sure the feel of a Stingray and Jazz necks are totally different. Different strokes for different strokes! Jazz (or even a P) are much thinner.

18. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Get a G&L L-2000...it's the best of both basses, in one instrument!

(especially if you make the single coil mod)

19. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Don't forget Tony Levin or the lady that plays with Hank Williams Jr.

20. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA

That would be my advice also. I don't think you could go wrong with either.