Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender V neck compared to Lakland?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chaindog, Jul 21, 2002.

1. I'm in the proccess of upgrading to a 35" five string from a floppy Fender V and I wonder if anyone can compare the width and feel of a Lakland 55-02 to the Fender. I don't really care much for the Fender, and since I don't have a local dealer, I'll have to order the Lakland (MF's got them for $1119.99 right now). If they are close to the same, I'll probably go with a MTD. I'm just trying to spare the expense of returning it if I don't like it.

I've tried a MTD, and I do like the way it feels. I just like the pickup config of the Lakland better.

Thoughts?

2. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I like both :-D I find either the 55-02 or the MTD to be very comfortable,but there are differences;the MTD necks are asymetrical,slightly thicker on the bass side (E & B strings) and this fits the natural contour of most people's hands.OTOH,the Lakland fretboard has a compound radius,flatter on the lower frets and more curved up high.
    FYI MTD has the Heir which has a bridge MM style PU and a neck single coil like the Lakland,albeit with passive electronics.

3. Thanks, virtual.ray. I appearently haven't seen the MTD Heir. Might be just the thing I'm looking for.

4. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i own the MTD heir, and i love the feel of this bass. but IMHO the Lakland (i think you're talking about skyline right?) has better electronics and overall better tone / more versatility, etc.
    either way, i think you'll be happy, but if i had the extra dough, i'd probably go with lakland. but the mtd is an amazing bargain too.