1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender V neck compared to Lakland?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chaindog, Jul 21, 2002.

1. I'm in the proccess of upgrading to a 35" five string from a floppy Fender V and I wonder if anyone can compare the width and feel of a Lakland 55-02 to the Fender. I don't really care much for the Fender, and since I don't have a local dealer, I'll have to order the Lakland (MF's got them for $1119.99 right now). If they are close to the same, I'll probably go with a MTD. I'm just trying to spare the expense of returning it if I don't like it.

I've tried a MTD, and I do like the way it feels. I just like the pickup config of the Lakland better.

Thoughts?

2. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I like both :-D I find either the 55-02 or the MTD to be very comfortable,but there are differences;the MTD necks are asymetrical,slightly thicker on the bass side (E & B strings) and this fits the natural contour of most people's hands.OTOH,the Lakland fretboard has a compound radius,flatter on the lower frets and more curved up high.
    FYI MTD has the Heir which has a bridge MM style PU and a neck single coil like the Lakland,albeit with passive electronics.

3. Thanks, virtual.ray. I appearently haven't seen the MTD Heir. Might be just the thing I'm looking for.

4. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i own the MTD heir, and i love the feel of this bass. but IMHO the Lakland (i think you're talking about skyline right?) has better electronics and overall better tone / more versatility, etc.
    either way, i think you'll be happy, but if i had the extra dough, i'd probably go with lakland. but the mtd is an amazing bargain too.