Fender V string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Sep 21, 2004.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Do you think that i would be able to get a tighter LowB string if i change the fender vintage standar brige for the gotoh used in the roscoe beck?

yes/no why?
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The science of string-o-bass-string-tension-o-matics is quite sophisticated. Yet, I am not a qualified stringandbridgeologist. I think the tension of your B has to do with more things than just the bridge, though it may help.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Get a heavier gauge B string from the same mfr as your existing set...that will certainly increase the tension.
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    ... Won't that decrease the tension o_0? Maybe I'm crazy
  5. Nope, a heavier string will help to some extent. Some 5ers just have bad B strings.
  6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

yeah i know but lets take the roscoe beck and an american standar jazz V, the 2 big diferences between this basses (the ones that can affect string tension/sound) are the neck shape and the bridge and i dint really think that an asymetrical neck like in the RB5 would make much difference.

BTW does anyone here knows the gotoh URL?
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think it has more to do with the quality of the construction.
  8. You got it on the nose there, Nick. Cheap basses have bad Bs, nice ones have good Bs.
  9. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    What about making the B-string go through the body? I've wondered about the effects this would have on the feel and sound of the B-string. Any thoughts?
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jeez, you guys. Same ol' BS. Changing the bridge will do absolutely nothing to tighten your B string. The tension of a string is dependent on a number of factors, the main one being the scale of the bass. The other is the construction of the string. It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the bass. Given a $129 Rogue bass and a $4,100 Lakland bass, the tension of the B strings will be identical, assuming that they're both the same scale (34-inch, say), and you're using identical strings. For a stiffer feel in the B string, buy a stiffer string. As Billy B said, a larger-diameter B string will help. Try a 130 or even a 135. Going throught the body will have zero effect on the string tension.

Those other guys are full of beans.
  11. Heck no Munji

Its a combination of factors.

I seriously doubt a Fender Mexi 5. and a Sadowsky 5 strung up with the same strings will have the same feel. on the B.
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Sorry munji, but I dont buy that because I can feel the difference.

My G&L and my Valenti are both 34" scale 5 strings and both were strung with Sadowsky Stainless Steel 45-130T but the Valenti has a much nicer B. Its under control and doesnt flab around every where. I think a lot of it has to do with the overall fit and assembly of the instrument.
  13. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I think if you work out more your B will be tighter.
  14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Munji's right, everyone else is wrong.
    Ha ha ha sounds like "audiophiles" talking about expensive cables. When faced with the physics that prove that the electrical signal is EXACTLY THE SAME between $10 Home Depot 12G cables and SuperWire™ Audiophile™ cables that cost $400, they insist that they "can hear" the difference.

I run Fender Super Bass strings on my Fender Jazz V they have a 128 B string and it's fantastic.
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The break angle of the string over the bridge saddle can be very important to the sound of the bass: not enough angle could allow the string to vibrate behind the saddle, which is not a good thing. Therefore, changing the bridge could very well affect the response of the B-string.

Before swapping parts, I recommend taking the bass to a good tech, explaining the problem, and having him/her perform a setup — bring a fresh set of whatever strings you plan to use.
  16. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

I think that in some way the difference between a good B and a bad B is on the nut and the bridge, so you and nick man are both right cos brands that take more time to place the bridge (to set it the perfect possition) use higger quality bridges and take more time to set up the nut, so they tend to have better and tighter B strings.
  17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    When I say I feel the difference I mean that with my G&L I had to be gentle with the B string or it would flop around in a disgusting way where as I can dig into the B on my Valenti and I dont have to worry about that. Its always nice and controlled.

I also had to raise the action on the bass and lower the pickups from where I prefered because of the B.

I didnt say I "feel" the difference, I said I feel the difference.
  18. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I had a Jazz V std for about 6 months. I liked a lot of things about that bass except for the B-string. I was using the factory strings, which at the time included a taperwound B-string. Fender no longer supplies that set on the Std Jazz V.

The B-string lacked sustain, punch, and definition and it was a .135.

I switched to D'Addario XL170's and was even less impressed. To my ears they had an indistinct, moaning, multiple harmonics thing going on which really decreased the punch and fundamentals of the bass. The last set I tried were Labella Hard-Rockin Steels and they sounded better to me (more even response across all the strings and good feel).

The Standard bridge on the Jazz V Std. looks a lot more substantial to me than those found on the 4-string Fender basses. Just my opinion, but I don't think you're going to get huge improvements in any characteristic but sustain by upgrading the bridge.

My final solution was to sell it and buy a Lakland Skyline 55-01 with the 35" scale. There was a big improvement in B-string performance.
  19. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I think a lot of confusion in this thread comes from the word "tight". I a pure physical sense the tightness (=tension) of a string is of course not going to change by using another bridge.

The word tight is also used to describe sound quality, which is of course more unscientific.

Speaking of stiffness, gauges, tension, tightness:
    I can imagine (has anyone investigated?) that differently constructed (core diameter versus windings, amount of layers, diameter of winding material, the metals used etc), but same diameter strings have slightly different mass/diameter ratios, resulting in different tensioned strings with the same diameter.

I can also imagine (has anyone investigated?) that those different constructions could also lead to different stiffnesses (I mean here: rigidity or suppleness, and not: tension), causing different overtone ratios in the strings.

Another observation:
    To my (personal and completely unscientific) perception, though a thicker string have more output, a lighter (to a certain point of course) string has a richer sound. I presume because it being more supple and therefore more capable of producing overtones.

Any comments?