1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender V.T. Bassman 2X15 Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Halvorsen, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Halvorsen

Halvorsen

Mar 7, 2008
    Vermont
    Hi,
    I run an old Fender V.T. Bassman 2x15 cabinet with a 150 watt Peavey Mark 3 head. My main bass is an Ibanez Soundgear 800.

I play heavier music, mostly punk, hardcore, and metal, so I am always trying to compete with 2 half stack wielding guitarists, a drummer that beats the heck out of his set, and screamed vocals.

My rig has held out ok for the most part, even though it's a lower end setup. But there are shows where I just can't get any more volume out of it, and I'm barely audible. If I turn up past 7 the cabinet just distorts more but without any volume gain. I don't mind a little distortion when I really dig in, I like to hammer out the occasional power cord, but I really need more clean volume.

We usually play places with a very minimal P.A., so running through that isn't an option. Personally, I don't like having to rely on the P.A. for anything except vocals anyway.

My bass and head sound good enough through other people's cabinets, although for some reason I don't really like them through most of the 4x10s I've tried.

I'd love a nice rack mount Ampeg 3 or 4 pro and an 8x10 or a Berg 6x10, but none of those are in the cards right now.

Is it worth getting new speakers for my cabinet? If so, what would you recommend?

Or given the cost of upgrading, should I just hold out for something better?

Thanks.

2. norbusser

norbusser

Mar 26, 2008
    I have one of those cabinets sitting in my garage right now. They're fine for old school rock or blues, but just don't cut it with newer music. If you sounded good through one of your friends cabinets buy what they have.

3. Halvorsen

Halvorsen

Mar 7, 2008
    Vermont
    Thanks for the reply, but I started a newer thread on this when I got no replies to this one.

Currently, I have decided to go with a 3015LF and Alpha 8MR for drivers and am still trying to figure out the calculations for them.

Please continue any more discussion at:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424919

Thanks