Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender vi - modification advice

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ahpook, May 21, 2003.

1. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    i've tried allsorts....

see

i'm loathed to try a slimmer bottom e, and a few 0.001mm aren't going to make a huge lot of difference i think.

:confused:

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The slimmer string will make NO difference -- you're dealing with the bottom of the string, not the thickness. The bottom goes over the saddle and the bridge, not the center, and the bottom of the string is going to be at the same height whether you use a .145 or an .009.

Looking at the photos (esp the 2nd one) it seems as though the whole bridge is leaning back towards the tail, raising the pickup side. There are several choices for mechanical corrections for this problem, but if this is a valuable vintage piece then you might not want to consider some of them. Perhaps you can re-mount the bridge mounting screws into the body.

If it's not vintage, I'd probably file down the offending area. Be sure to keep a little light oil on the new bare spot to keep it from rusting.

3. i see your problum right now, its a guitar. bass r0x0rs!!~!!

- w00t

(sorry for being off topic and an a$$ ^_^, im just kidding around)

4. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    neck shim :bassist:

5. don't think that would work as the strings wouldn't be raised any further away from the bridge edge.

I'd go for the filing idea- using a round file to create a notch for the string.

BTW is this a design flaw in that when the saddles are close to one side the bridge leans over on its support screws?

6. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    hmmm - ok, i'l leaning toward the filing option now.

btw the bridge is canted backward for intonation purposes.

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Just curious why -- because the low E saddle won't go back far enough with the bridge standing straight up?

8. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    exactly.

the intonation's nigh on spot on with the setup as shown.