Fender VI???????????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by relman, Jun 5, 2001.

1. What is this bass? It looks like a guitar, but it says in several magazines that it is a bass...i am confused...GA!!!!!!!!
  2. I think that it is a baritone guitar. Thats what Fender Frontline magazine said.
  3. its exactly one octive below a regular guitar, but was used as a baratone guitar by all its users. (John lennon was one of them, guy from the cure is another). The string spacing is way to close to play it like a guitar, and it was ment to be strung (E A D G B e)
  4. JMP

Aug 17, 2000
    Baritone guitar, bass guitar, whatever. It's all pretty much the same thing isn't it? Same octave as a bass guitar, same notes, it just goes higher, note-wise.

The Fender Bass IV has been out of production for quite some time now. For a while Fender made a re-issue of it, maybe ten years ago, but they've stopped producing that now too.

The Beatles used them fairly often, usually John or George would play them when Paul was playing piano. Let It Be, Hey Jude, a few other songs come to mind. Steve Kilbey of The Church used one on their "Hologram of Baal" album in 1999. He toured with it that year as well, as his only Bass.

It's a great sounding instrument, if you find one, pick it up, you'll like it. The string spacing is close, but that works better, in my view, than these huge slab monstrosities you see nowadays.
  5. Jack Bruce played one with Cream as well. Check out the B&W film footage of Cream playing Strange Brew.
  6. so it's bassicaly a bass that's tuned to a guitar in which it's easier to play chords???
  7. no. If you have a 4 string bass, the Bass IV would have those 4 strings on it. the two other strings would be a B (like regularly tune 6 string's c, tuned down a half step), and the E is the same as the low e on a regular guitar. its not a bass guitar with guitar strings, its a bass guitar exactly one octive below a regular guitar.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I recall Bradley Bobo using one with Eddie Harris way back when.
  9. ok, that's what i meant, i confused the terms around...
  10. pil101

Jul 8, 2000
    to hear great bass vi playing check out:

the cure: disintegration (best album ever), faith
    placebo: without you i'm nothing

cool instrument, i've been wanting one forever. i guess i'll have to settle with my Dano baritone