SOLD Fender Victor Bailey Jazz w. Sadowsky pups/pre

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Giraffe, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is a 2002 Fender Victor Bailey Jazz Bass, in excellent condition. It has been upgraded with Sadowsky pickups and preamp. It comes with the soft black glove leather strap Fender ships with new ones, but the brown tolex hard shell case was replaced with a clean SKB case.

This bass has a mahogany body, a thin rosewood spacer, and a fairly thick (c. 3/8") koa top. It has a maple neck with a rosewood board. It feels like a Jazz neck to me, 1.52" wide at the nut, and 2.195" wide at the twelfth fret. It has really nice abalone dot markers on the fingerboard. It has light weight tuners, a string-through-or-top-load bridge, and Schaller straplocks. All the hardware is gold.

The fellow I got this bass from upgraded the pickups and preamp to Sadowsky's! I don't recall whether these are the humcancelling or single coil version, but I will find out. The Sadowsky preamp has a master volume control, blend, stacked boost-only bass and treble controls, and the passive tone control option.

Condition is excellent, no kidding. There is a 1" scratch on the upper treble side horn top that has been touched up but is noticeable. Not bad at all. Light player wear. Excellent frets, straight neck, smooth truss rod. I've used this bass in a variety of settings and it never failed me. Overall tone is still a Jazz, plus about 35%! It is my experience that Fender quality is hit-or-miss up through the American Deluxes. When you start to get into the American Vintages and the U.S. Signatures, the quality improves dramatically. The action and fretwork on this instrument is noticeably superior to the American Standards or American Deluxes. It has the obligatory dead spot on the G string at about the seventh fret. This bass beats the daylights out of most Fenders. Weight is medium, balance is better than most Jazz basses or clones. I realize this is an inflammatory statement here, but the playability of this bass far exceeds the one Metro I've had a chance to play. I would say the quality of the bass (less the electronics) is superior to a good MusicMan, but not quite up to a good U.S. Lakland or Roscoe.

This is a fun bass. If you like Jazz Basses, this is my favorite. Good growl, strong bass, strong mids, it's kind of how I like it but others might disagree. The Sadowsky electronics are far superior to the stock fare, much quieter and more musical.

I'm primarily interested in finding an MTD 535, and I would gladly put a reasonable amount of money on top of this to even out a trade. Since that doesn't seem to want to happen, I will sell this one for $1,200, or maybe trade plus cash for something better.
  2. Hi Tom ,
    They're Sadowsky humbucking J's. Next to my Lull this bass is easily the best jazz bass I've ever played. Someone will be very happy!
  3. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Is this bass still available?
  4. dabassist

Jul 24, 2003
    I'm trading it for my MTD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.