Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Victor Bailey jazzbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pyrohr, Apr 28, 2004.

1. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Has anyone tried one of these?
    Does anyone have an opinion good or bad?
    What did you like or dislike?

2. I have one. Mine has a really plain koa top with no figuring, unlike the ones on the Fender web site.

BUT it sounds really great. A little less bite than a standard Jazz Bass, and a nice sweet midrange character that cuts through well. It plays great too.

3. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Sorry late to this.....was out of town for work.
    Anyway, I love my VB Jazz Bass. I got lucky, my top is kinda nice, not like most of the plain ones I've seen. Not as nice as the one on the site, but still nice.
    I echo the statement about the mids on this bass. It's voiced real nice. Very usable.
    And the treble works as a boost and passive tone control. When you turn it down it doesn't just cut, it actually sounds like a passive control.

I bought mine to "replace" my old heavy ass 72 Jazz (just too damn heavy and I didn't want to drag it to gigs and have some idiot steal it or something).
    I think it's the best bass that Fender makes. I've played a few in different stores (hell in different states for that matter) and they all were very nice. Consistant as hell.

Now, if they make it in a 5 string, and it's as nice as the 4, my Sadowsky's could be in for some trouble!!

It's the only reason I haven't got a Sadowsky 4 yet. I haven't played a Sadowsky 4 that I thought was worth the effort to get rid of my VB Jazz. Yet ;) (to be honest, only played a few Sadowsky 4's, and they were sweet as all hell, but I play mostly 5, so the difference in price was a big factor)

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    One of the best J Bass Fender has come along with in a very very long time.it is very versatile and it plays like Butter.if I had a choice between it and a Fender MM Sig I would go with the VB Jazz.I've played about 4 or 5 VB Jazzes and each one was about the same.If I were to give a Bass primarily a Sig model an Award this would be the one.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Thanks for the replies fellas. I have become the proud owner of a Victor Bailey jazzbass! I have had it for two days and have played out with it for the last two nights. So far I'm enjoying the bass very much and can't wait to gig tonight with it. I have tried to take pics but I cant seem to take a good pic that captures the essence of the bass. I will try again.