Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Victor Baily? anyone tried one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, May 21, 2003.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Has anyone tried a Baily Jazz bass yet? Wht did you think?

AJ

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'm going to hear him at the Iridium on the first of June, PM me around then and I'll tell you how it sounds...

3. Tritonus

Tritonus

Nov 29, 2001
    I have not only tried one - I actually own one.
    For me it is by far the best Jazz that I have in my arsenal and the best JB type bass I have ever put my hands on with regard to playability and sound.
    My original '72 JB, which used to be my main instrument for more than two decades, has been retired now.
    The neck of the VB is extremely comfortable to play, think of a sleek '62 neck. The whole bass is extremely well balanced, - no neck dive at all. Even when the bass is played in seated position without a strap, no neck dive occurs. And it is a light weight.
    The electronics and the noiseless pups work very well together. The preamp (3 band) is very musical sounding and versatile. Although no passive tone option is available I don't miss it at all, since I can get a way better "passive" sound from the on board tone circuit than with my old and beloved all passive '72 JB.
    The finger tone is excellent and one can of course get easily Victor- or Jaco-esque tones out of it. But very much to my surprise the bass also produces great slap sounds.
    I believe that the body woods (mahogany/rosewood/koa)of the VB make all the difference. The new Fender FMT JB's which I'd tested as well, and shure are nice basses, don't come close.
    Maybe I was only lucky to find "the one" but if you get a chance to check one out, do it.

Cheers.

4. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Does it have the typical "Fender" sound, or is it different? Just curious. I usually find the Fender pre to be kind of thin sounding.... (I had an American Deluxe and I replaced the pre I disliked it so much)

Don

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I recently played one at this guitar shop near my house. Before I plugged it in and played it, I had very low expectations because I'm normally let down in one way or the other by Fender. After playing it for a while, I was quite impressed. Good sound and feel and pretty light weight. The preamp wasn't bad either. Defintley not the best or worst that I have played. The MM wasn't to bad either. I think I prefer this one over the MM though.

6. Tritonus

Tritonus

Nov 29, 2001
    Don,

To me it has the typical JB sound and the pre sounds to my ears not "thin" at all.

Cheers.

7. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    My father (JFN, who posts on here sometimes) bought a VB a month or two ago and it sounds excellent. He plays it a lot at church and when he plays it, the whole band suddenly sounds better. It's probably the best bass I've ever heard. I would highly recommend it above any other high-end 4-string.

-Mark

8. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

My son Mark is right. I am very happy with the VB. I also have an American Dlx Jazz V FMT, and I find myself using the VB more often. It seems to have a warmer, more pleasing tone and the neck is easy for my smaller hands to navigate.

It seems to me it can hang with most of the other more high end basses, but when you're talking about that kind of $, alot of it comes down to personal preference and how well the axe fits your body and playing style.

John

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There's a used VB at a local Maryland music store. They also have an FMT 4 Both sound very good and play extremely well. They each have their own vibe. I've owned an FMT 5 for about 1.5 years and am still very happy with it.

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi

How would you describe the tone compared to the alder/rosewood,Ash/Maple norm.

AJ

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    If I closed my eyes I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between it with the Koa/Walnut combination and the FMT IV with Maple board (don't recall the body wood). It sounded very good fingerstyle, lots of growl and when slapped it was very easy to get a full Marcus Miller-y tone. I guess I'd say it sounds similar to a very good Ash/Maple Jazz with slightly warmer mids. Playability was excellent.

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    You talking about Atomic, Brad? I was just up there the other day, and I didn't see the VB or the FMT 4.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    They were probably both sold, Nick. The VB was bought by a friend of mine who brought it back to get a Fender 5 string Jazz w/Maple board. They've had a couple of FMT IVs over the last couple of weeks. All of those basses were very nice IMO.

14. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    i haven't played one, but ive seen some of the tops on them. They don't always look as good as the pic on musiciansfriend.com, if anyone cares...

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That's true... unless you get a fotoflame top, what you get is what you get. It could be nicer or not as nice.