1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Vintage '62 P-bass Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blues_bassist, Apr 29, 2009.

1. blues_bassist

blues_bassist

Mar 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I own a Fender MIM Fender P-Bass and I am looking to upgrade the pickup. I play mostly blues and blues-rock so I want to keep or increase that vintage P-bass tone. So I am thinking about installing a Fender Classic '62 P-bass pickup. Does anyone know anything about them or have experience with them?

2. dlegault

dlegault

Nov 11, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I've been using one of these for quite awhile in an old Ibanez. It has a lot of vintage punch to it. It's a huge step from the stock MIM p pickup, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I agree 100%. I bought a kinda beat up MIM agave blue P bass a few years ago cheap at my local GC as a backup to my classic 50's P. It sounded pretty good but i wanted it to sound as good as the 50's so i put a set of 62 RI pups in her. This bass is amazing and stands up to any MIA i played it up to in tone and feel.The 62 pups have great mids and can get you growl but a smooth vintage tone.

My band just cut 8 songs for our new CD. 7 of the songs i did on the MIM w/62 pups. I did 1 song with the 50's P and my 51 RI P never got a nod. The bass sounded awsome in the tracks the producer sent me to review. Get the pups, they are great.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    oh heck yeah.

keep the perfectly good 250k cts pots if you want to stay old-school, but if you want to get a little more grindy rock tones out of the bass, put in a 500k linear volume and a 500k audio tone for a little more of everything.

5. I picked up a MIM Factory Special Run (FSR) P-Bass in natural ash w/ tort pick guard that had a 62RI pup and vintage bridge installed from a fellow TB’er. I liked it so much that when a similar MIM FSR (this one was stock) came up on TB, I grabbed it too.

I put the same vintage bridge on this one but put a Bill Lawrence P46 pup in it, and I really liked the way it came out. Now this one has flats, where as the first one with the 62RI PUP has Fender 7250M rounds, but I also have a US 62RI P-Bass that is strung with the same brand of Fender flats so I can make a direct comparison.

The 62RI P gives the traditional P tone of course. So does the Bill Lawrence but it also seems to have more clarity to the lower notes. The pitches seem more defined, like the fundamental comes through better. I’m just not sure what I’m going to do with my 62RI at this point. I like the MIM’s that much.

John

6. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I installed one in my MIM P and it is great. I have tried a few pups in it and this is the one that gives me the best classic P tone to my ear at least. MUCH better than the stock pup.

7. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    I found one used right here on TB - definite improvement.

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Thanks. That helped answer a question for me as I'm very familiar with the 62 pickup. I think I'll order the Bill Lawrence. The 62 pickup sounds good too.

9. Let us know how it works out with the new pup. I may take a few weeks to get, but they did have them in stock when I ordered mine.

Also, since I spoke of my new FSR P's, I realized I of course need to provide a pic or else they don't really exist (TB regulations). Here you go. The one on the left got the Bill Lawrence pup.

Attached Files: