1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Vintage '69 Bantam Bassman?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joebass93, Mar 28, 2009.

1. joebass93

joebass93

Feb 21, 2009
    I foudn one of these used at GC and I really liked the tone. Crisp lows, excellent slap sound. It's tube. However, when I turn the volume knob on the amp, it crackles a bit, but this doesn't affect the playing unless...your playing while adjusting the volume knob on the amp. huh.

Do any of you know what this problem is? And is 700 a good price? (or am I not supposed to ask that...)

2. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    Hey, that was my first amp!
    Probably just a dirty volume pot - easily fixed.
    Not sure what the market for them are now. Here's some more info:
    http://www.ampwares.com/amp.asp?id=20

Dan

3. joebass93

joebass93

Feb 21, 2009
    yup that's it. Is it really good? And how do I clean the volume pot?

p.s. my GC sucks, they only had 4 bass combos. And I want a combo cause I'm in school and have to lug it in every day.

4. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    They were good amps in their day. Nice sound. But for $700 you can do better, unless of course you want that old Fender black tolex/silver grillclothe vibe.
    These thing originally came with a bazaar styrofoam Yamaha 15" speaker in them. Supposedly their lifespan wasn't that long and most were usually replaced with a more conventional speaker. I never had a chanch to find out with mine - I got it in '69 and it was stolen in '71.
    Oh, and a can of contact cleaner might do the job on the dirty pot. If not, worst case scenario is replacing the pot. Cheap and easy.

Dan

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  6. I have one right now that I put four 10 inch speakers in for guitar. It sounds nice at bedroom levels for bass but thats it. I $300 roland cube amp will blow it away on all fronts. They have been around $400 for a long time, don't pay any more than that.

7. joebass93

joebass93

Feb 21, 2009
    okay thanks guys. As I said, my GC sucks. They didn't have any GK or any decent Ampeg combos, which I love.

8. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    Keep an eye on eBay. Ampeg's Rocket series of combos show up pretty regularly. Great sounding amps for reasonable bucks.

Dan