Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Vintage Noiseless Don't Fit MIJ 75RI Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassy Davy, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Bassy Davy

Bassy Davy Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Yup, the pups are just a bit too wide for the original routing and the pickguard!

Don't know if it's worth it to pay to have it routed and trimmed. Oh well...............

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

not that uncommon to be a hair off - which I assume is all it is. And probably only at a couple spots at that. In comparing my noiseless to Marcus Millers, they're virtually identical. I don't know if there's a noiseless and and vintage noiseless or not or if there's any difference if there is.

May sound terrifying to you but I had the same problem with an Ibe and I marked the spots, tapped the face to prevent possible chipping, and took about a 1/8" long drill bit and drill motor and just pushed the edge of the flutes against the side at high speed to remove a hair. Did little by little till the pup dropped in and all J's fit thereafter. So little was removed, you couldn't tell any difference with the pups in the bass.

For me there was not enough removal to justify (or probably even use) a router. If you've got common sense and a steady hand, you should be able to pull it off.

You might take it into a music store and try some other J's but I'm guessing you'll get the same response - so I suspect it's the bass, not the pups.

Also, I don't remember what the pickguards are like on those (seems they only surround the bridge pup) but it may be the gaurd route, not the pup route - or both for that matter.

3. Bassy Davy

Bassy Davy Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    [For me there was not enough removal to justify (or probably even use) a router. If you've got common sense and a steady hand, you should be able to pull it off.

It's a natural finish in great shape, so I'm rather reluctant to try this. And on the neck pup, both the routing and the pickguard are too narrow.

[You might take it into a music store and try some other J's but I'm guessing you'll get the same response - so I suspect it's the bass, not the pups.

I've had Bill Lawrence pups in there previously, they fit with no problem.

At this point, I don't know if I should sell the pups or pay someone to mod the bass and then install them.

Luknfur, thanks for your reply.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

yeh, kind of a tough call and a bit unusual from the sound of it. The Fender Noiseless I have sound like what they are, stacked humbuckers. I don't know what sound you're looking for, but if you're looking for a true vintage Fender single coil J, I doubt you're going to find it in those (or a BL J45), SD classic stack is the only stack that pulled it off for me. Of course other variables play into that and with some rigs all pups basically sound the same. So who knows.

Don't know which BL you had but I've got a J45 and it's actually between the long and short length of the Fender Noiseless I've got.