Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Vintage "Noiseless" Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by arncliffe, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Hi)Need some help, please)
    I`ve searched all the threads and forums about the subject,
    and didn`t find any audio examples(
    How do you compare them to Bartolini 9J`s and DiMarzio UltraJ`s?
    They are the only pickups I know very well...

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

As a gross generality - since it depends on lots of other variables.

The Barts are Barts and more sophisticated, hi-fish, soft rounded top with solid bottom.

The ultra's a thinner more top half Fralin style Fender tone.

As far as I know there's only one Fender noiseless set (no vintage / '62 re-issue like variations - aside from I know they came in an early single fat pole make-up). The set I have I haven't played enough to get a feel for really but they seem more like the typical thicker stacked J tone than a true single J (like I actually found the SD Classic stacks to be - the only stacks like that in fact). The noiseless did strike me as pretty bland pups first off but after playing them a bit more I got more life out of them. So maybe just a matter of tone tweaking.

Going through a non-mag phase at the moment so really haven't messed with them. But I've got a tube amp coming so that may change soon.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I think it depends on which pre-amp the noiseless pups are coming through, I hated them in the 99 and early 2000's dlx jasses. I did think they sounded dry and the Suhr pups sounded better, Then I got a 2003 Victor Bailey jazz. The sound blew me away for real and sounded nothing like the dlx's I'd heard previously. Everywhere I gig with my VB jazz I get asked "is that a Fender" and then they ask "are those stock pups?". It's like taking an AK-47 to a gun fight!

4. 9 J Barts are smooth, deep, and darker with less output and it is suggested they be used only with an active setup.

Fender Vintage Noiseless are like the stocks but with more output. They have clarity, more output, good low end, mids and highs.
    I really like them.
    LIke the Barts they are very quiet. I would like the barts on a fretless or active bass.

5. sumrnitz

sumrnitz

Aug 7, 2005
    :help: Just got a set of fender noiseless pickups in the mail a few minutes ago. Quick question: On the bottom of one of them there is an extra protruding part that goes the length of the pickup, looks kinda like another magnet or something. There isn't one on the other one. Is this correct? It does have the foam and screws in the box as well like it should. The pickup cover comes off easily on the other one and the pole pieces are almost recessed. I've done alot of electric guitar builds but never a bass. I have played a ton of them though so when I get it installed I can give you an idea of how they sound.
    Thanks!

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Hmm? Protruding part - no such animal on the ones I've got. The center poles are mildly staggered and they're all tapered. No difference between the pups aside from length. Unless I'm getting them confused with another pup, I think they came with a touch of hot glue on the upper bobbin to keep the covers fast but can easily be removed with a mild effort.

7. sumrnitz

sumrnitz

Aug 7, 2005
    maybe I can explain better: It's like a big long flat magnet on the bottom...but it's only on one pickup. You can plainly see the bottom of the poles on the other pickup. Whick kinda strikes me as wierd. But then again this is my first bass build. Any ideas?
    sumrnitz

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Hmm?

Well mine are actually in a bass at the moment. Due to the atypcial nature of my basses, I can pull a couple screws and roll the pups over for a cursory inspection (like to check for a ceramic mag config) but not for detailed inspection, especially since I'm half blind as it is.

There were no exposed poles on the bass of either of my pups but they could have had a chunk of electrical tape thrown down over them for all I could see.

I do remember that one of the covers was loose on mine when I got them. I got them from a TB'r and feel confident they are as stated. That combined with the fact that one of the covers was fast to the pup and clearly labeled as noiseless is as good of indication as I need.

In addition, since one of the covers was loose and I could see that hot glue was the adherent for the cover on that pup, I removed the other to inspect the windings, then just scotch-tape them over the baseplate to adhere the covers. The windings are identical (stacked HB's) so they're a matched set. Brighter copper not the maroon colored vintage stuff (name of which escapes me at the moment). I think they may have had a clear wrap over the windinga (too many pups).

Black and white (long) and yellow and black (short) leads. Gold underline handscript noiseless label in the corner. So if they fit the description thus far, I'd say you've got Fender Noiseless J pups - which I assume you're wanting verification of with this posting?

9. sumrnitz

sumrnitz

Aug 7, 2005
    Well, I got them new in the box complete with the noiseless covers but it just seems odd to me that the one pickup has the bar magnet on the bottom and the other doesn't. It makes me think that something may be amiss.... and I don't want to install them and screw up the abillity to send them back.
    If you could check those that you have it would be a huge help. I've also got an email out to the retailer that I bought them from for assistance.
    Thanks for your help,
    sumrnitz

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Pulled them both. Actually, poles are exposed on both at the base - staggered accordingly. No baseplate. An unsual thing about them is they have a soldered twisted solid wire connecting the winding's at the end of the baseplate opposite the leads.

Are sure it's a magnet or like a groundplate (which would make no sense on these pups)? Does it attrack metal? A groundplate would be copper and not attrack metal away from the poles.

When you say you got them new in a box, do you mean sealed? If they were sealed there should be no question aside from something really freak.

11. sumrnitz

sumrnitz

Aug 7, 2005
    This is getting really interesting. My pickups a exactly like the ones you described except for this "plate thingy" It attracts to metal which tells me it's magnetized. I have the same twisted wire opposite the leads.
    The plate/base/whatever is dark brown and is almost the full length of the pickup. It's the shorter of the two pickups (black/yellow wires) which I assume is the neck pickup.
    They were new in a sealed box so if the other pickup is missing something it seems to me that this is a production error.
    You're being a huge help here!
    sumrnitz

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

you didn't say if the box was sealed? If it was then it's a factory thing. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. There's nothing unusual about changes in pups during production or variations between neck and bridge pups. I've got a set of Dimarzio Model J's that are little brighter than standard simply cause they were designed for use with a preamp (according to dimarzio anyway). They don't look any different but DM volunteered that info as an aside in an inquiry of mine.

Also, it could be difficult to tell if the plate is magnetized or not covering the poles. Ceramic mags are often used to increase brightness. If it not copper, it could be a ceramic mag or may be even just a spacer plate. At any rate, a grounding plate would have a lead soldered to it and a ceramic mags are usually relatively thick - at least 1/8" or so depending on their dimensions, but thicker than a grounding plate at any rate.

13. sumrnitz

sumrnitz

Aug 7, 2005
    The box was sealed. There isn't a lead attached to the part in question. I'm so used to messing around with regular guitar pickups that it looks a little funny that there is such a large difference between the two pickups. I'll let you know what the retailer tells me when he cracks open another set.
    sumrnitz

14. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

an untampered sealed box I wouldn't give a second thought to as the factory is obligated to provide what's advertised on the box - whether you've installed them or not. I don't recall hearing any factory issues with Fender pups. I've heard quite a bit about Dimarzio factory screw ups.

The neck pup is the short or bass (as they say in the guitar world) pup so it makes sense to throw a ceramic mag on it to brighten it up - and those pups could use it for my taste and experience with them. Although typically bass neck and bridge pups are identical aside from length and/or pole location, it's not that uncommon for the factory to darken and/or beef up the output to the bridge pup or brighten and/or weaken the output to the neck pup to compensate for the natural behaviors of their location and so balance them out some. But most of the bass neck and bridge pups I've checked on a meter are essentially the same output and sound the same when position is swapped (which I can do in my basses).

I don't know about guitar pups but variations in bass pups is not that uncommon - although almost invariably very minor or cosmetic in nature and so of little if any consequence.

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Isn't what's being described here on the bottom of the coil, a dummy coil? The guitarist in my band loves his VN pickups :scowl: , and I believe they're noiseless because they're basically humbuckers voiced as single coils, with that second coil on the bottom to cancel hum.

They have had several models out over the years, I believe, none of which are very impressive in my mind. At least they're an improvement to those darned Lace Sensors. ICK!

16. sumrnitz

sumrnitz

Aug 7, 2005
    What would the dummy coil be used for? Why on only one pickup? Would that be there to try and even out the tone between them sort of like Luknfur is describing?

BTW: Luknfur rocks for taking his bass apart to just answer a question!
    sumrnitz

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Traditionally, a dummy coil is employed to remove hum...the early PRS basses had one mounted in the rear of the body for this purpose. They shouldn't do much to the tone of the pickup. I haven't seen these pickups myself, so I don't want to hazzard a guess at what the Fender boys have cooked up with this set up, but is it possible that all 3 pickups piggy back on that one dummy coil?

18. Yes, the shorter of the two is the neck pickup

On the bridge pickup cavity there is a ground wire on a lug attached to a screw. I connected the pickup ground at that point on my Jazz.