1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Vintage Reissue '59 Bassman LTD 4X10...for Bass(?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by citizenchris099, Dec 8, 2018.

1. citizenchris099

citizenchris099 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I'm interested in this combo for a number of reasons.
    I just finished "Sound Heard Round the World" and suffice is to say I'm in a bit of a Fender geek mode.
    The idea of an amp that would work good for tracking Bass and Guitar (the latter of which I'm considering getting into at some point for my home studio work) is appealing.
    I'm very much enamored with vintage tone...especially of early rock era etc..
    All that said...
    I get that these amps were originally introduced for the P-Bass but ended up having unintended uses for Guitarists which made them hugely popular in that regard. So much so that they are literally thought of / marketed to the Guitar market almost exclusively.

So questions.
    1. will this amp be good for tracking bass in a home studio environment?
    2. why is it not thought of in contemporary times as a bass amp?

2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Cause of the open back design.

In the studio at low levels probably be okish. For bass. For guitar it will be the classic open back sound. Very loud open back sound.

But a 50 watt bassman head
    Through a more bass oriented sealed / ported cabinet would be tone bliss.

On stage I'm very traditional and wouldn't be caught dead with a emulation amp. But in a home studio environment, not having to deal with room sound and microphones. Re amping with plugins has more options than you think. And expands your tonal library further

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    citizenchris099 likes this.
  3. citizenchris099

citizenchris099 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I'm an odd duck. Because of many many factors not the least of which being my day job involves computers (Software QA Engineer) I don't want to come home and fiddle about with computers / daws / plug-ins etc.. when it comes with my music. I like the limitations of a simple multi track recorder(Zoom R-24) and mics.

But its the open back nature of the speaker that makes the Bassman combo less than ideal?

4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Open back speakers don't have as much bass and distort quicker.

Hence why it's a smoking loud guitar amp.

Then again so many bass players say its not feasible as a bass amp. I was too the point of buying 2 of the dam things and playing bass through it. Just cause it's such a iconic amp.

But for studio fun and real fender affordability. The silver face Bassman 50 had a matching 2x15 cabinet. And that's pure studio fun. Story goes between few amps used for Pink Floyd's The Wall. Majority of the bass tracks were finished on a bassman 50 + 2x15

72_cat-bassman_50.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Likewise they did a Bassman 10 which is similar to the OG Tweed
    50 watts 4x10 cab

I also suggest snooping around the Fender field guide website for fun.
    The Fender Amp Field Guide

72_cat-bassman_10.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  6. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    59 Bassman is a wonderful (legendary) guitar amp. It's too wooly even at very low volumes to be used for bass. The open back cab, and the super low wattage speakers add up to...fuzzy, but not in a musical way. In the fifties, bass amps were intended to be about the same loudness as a stand up bass. By modern standards they don't even work with a small jazz combo.

walterw, BassmanPaul and Pbassmanca like this.