1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Vintage Threaded saddle - string holes too big?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by funkytoe, Jul 5, 2012.

1. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I bought what was advertised as a Fender Chrome Vintage Threaded P-Bass bridge on EBAY. Reputable storefront music seller. The add specified the Fender part number and stated that it was the same bridge that came on the '57 and '62 reissue P basses. I always liked threaded saddle bridges so I bought one for my project P bass.

The bridge came in what appears to be unopened original Fender replacement part packaging (including the correct part number) and looks great. 5 screw holes lined up perfectly. Went to string my bass and the string holes in the tailpiece are so large that the nut on the end of the stings pulls right through them as you tune to pitch. Makes me think that this is not a legit Fender part.

Anyone else had this problem? I suppose I could get some washers to fix the problem, but its bumming me out. Thoughts?

2. Remove it, send it back or keep it. You can put small washers on the string to prevent the ball from pulling thru. I would probably keep it.

3. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    My inclination is to do just that. Put some washers on the strings behind the tailpiece to prevent the string from pulling through. Its an easy fix and I am OK with that.

But, I am still curious from an engineering standpoint. Why would Fender do this? Why would they produce a replacement part that did not work with all commonly available strings in the market? Makes me think that this is not a legitimate Fender part. Or perhaps a defective one?

So, I am just curious whether anyone else has experienced this.

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've never experienced that either. I'd return it.

Putting washers on the strings might work fine, but it would be a PITA if you had to do it every time you changed strings. More of a hassle than just returning it and getting a replacement IMO.

5. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    It might be a pain, but this is a P bass that will likely wear the same set of flats for years at a time. So, the thought of changing washers when I change strings really does not bother me all that much.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I have neve seen a Fender bridge with string holes as you describe - something isn't right...

Is it possible that the intonation screws are in the wrong holes???

- georgestrings

7. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    That's an interesting thought. But, I am certain I would have recognized if the intonation screws were in the wrong holes.

Nope. These string holes are in the exact place they should be - and I have owned several vintage basses with original threaded saddles - so I know this to be true.

Its just that these holes are tapped to about 3/8 inch in diameter. Anyone have a measurement for what they should be on either a vintage bridge or a 57/62 reissue P bridge?

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Both my 57' & 62' AVRI's measure .250 with a micrometer.

9. To make string changes less of a pain you could always glue the washers to the bridge.

10. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Thanks for checking. That's about what I would have expected. Maybe mine was just misdrilled and found its way through quality control anyway. Oh well. Guess I will make do. Thanks everyone!

11. BassBod

BassBod

Aug 18, 2006
    Bristol, UK
    I've got one like that - fine with most strings, but not Thomastik Superalloys, which have a slightly smaller brass ball. Weird.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

In that case, I would definitely return it, rather than cobb it up with washers - I would imagine that such an arrangement could negatively affect string breakover...

- georgestrings

13. heygtrgar

heygtrgar

May 4, 2013
    I've bought two of these for a project P-Bass and have the same problem. I'm amazed that no one has run into this before. Wish I had an answer. I'm taking the newest Genuine Fender Part to Sam Ash tomorrow to say ***? Do I have to buy a Fender string to fit this? I don't think I should have to put washers on it to solve the problem. Can't say for sure but to me it looks like these bridges were intended for a "through the body" type of set up. Sorry I can't help but I too feel your pain!

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    what brands of strings are you guys finding the problem with? i've never even heard of this before.

15. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I have never had this problem and I use basses with those bridges exclusively and with lots of different types of strings. Have you considered maybe the strings ball ends are too small and the holes are the normal size? Maybe your strings have guitar ball ends accidentally installed? Just a thought.