1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Vintera Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by antfarm, Jun 20, 2019.

1. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    That’s correct. The only SS strings Fender makes are like 40-95 I believe.

2. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    And SS strings would (presumably?) be too short for through body anyway. Through body Mustangs need medium scale, don't they?

bwanabass and mbell75 like this.
  3. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    My main player (warmoth J) has a pau ferro board. I really like the feel. It can be oiled but doesn't need it as often as rosewood. I use a little bit of fret doctor on it maybe twice a year

ScottsTheLimit and lizardking837 like this.
  4. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Indeed, there was weird phase in the Squier Classic Vibe thread where everyone was trying to figure which oil to put on their fretboard so it would 'look like rosewood.' I'm all for maintenance, but yeah that was a bit much for me.

ScottsTheLimit likes this.
  5. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Yeah, for sure indian rosewood. I have a 60s MIA epiphone with some sort of rosewood (I guess) and it is actually lighter in color and smoother than most indian rosewrood i've seen

6. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    That is correct

S.F.Sorrow and mbell75 like this.
  7. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    VERY soon if they're already dead... Cutting long scale strings too short to make them fit can sometimes cause the windings to unravel. On a mass-manufactured scale like this there's bound to be some bad ones hitting the shelves.

But yeah, you've got a point. Most people seem to dislike those Fender strings anyway so in most cases they'll probably end up at the bottom of the garbage bin before anyone notice the mistake.

Kipp Harrington likes this.
  8. Clem Lushness

Clem Lushness

May 30, 2017
    Australia
    I always thought that too, but the am perf mustang has ss 40-95 strings according to Fender specs.

S.F.Sorrow likes this.
  9. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Hm... interesting! They probably have longer winding length then. I know some manufacturer's SS strings have longer winding length than others and fit nicely on medium scale. But Fender strings are made by D'Addario and they have not been one of those manufacturers in my experience. Could be made to Fender specs of course.

But if Fender sell strings that fit medium scale (or in this case, short scale with through-body), why don't they use them on the Vintera Mustang??? Especially if they use them on the AmPerf Mustang. I know the light gauge won't be everyones cup of tea but at least they will FIT. We're not talking about a $200 Squier here. I would expect Fender to do better than just pull out the old LONG SCALE 45-105 7250M...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Duder and Clem Lushness like this.
  10. Clem Lushness

Clem Lushness

May 30, 2017
    Australia
    They are happy to pull out the long scale gig bags for the mustangs, when they had a perfectly good urban short scale gig bag available.

matt-o- and S.F.Sorrow like this.
  11. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    A thoroughly clinical dissection. Well done. LOL

12. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013

Hey, I'll have you know that I've sold the Custom shop, I've started incorporating 3rds and 5ths... AND my clam count is now on the low side on account of all the practise I've been doing...:D

The Bass Clef likes this.
  13. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    I have visions of an English Squire, sitting on a rocking horse, being pushed back and forth by an honest servant, while being laughed at by the rest of the household :smug:

GuitarJay and Marikk like this.
  14. bwanabass

bwanabass

Jul 18, 2010
    I believe they are. My JMJ shopped with long scale 9050 flats, and although my plan was to change them immediately, they actually played and sounded really great, so I kept them on.

15. bwanabass

bwanabass

Jul 18, 2010
    Lol my JMJ Mustang came in a Fender guitar gig bag. It barely even fits in there- I have to pull the bag taut to get it to zip over the headstock.

Clem Lushness likes this.
  16. HLH2k1

HLH2k1

Apr 19, 2016
    I guess I should feel validated, but I'm saddened because they flat out copied (i.e., independently came to the same idea) the bass I built for myself last year. Warmoth Seafoam Green body, Maple American Professional Neck, anodized pickguard, Fender AVRI '58 pickup and electronics and a AVRI '58 bridge.... Damn! Only thing missing is the MIM serial number and the reverse tuners, although I did fully shield the control cavity and prefer the modern MIA tuners. :)

17. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Just about month or more, THIS thing was $874.00
    Now it's $1,050.00.
    Difference? The name.
    Will I ever buy Fender? No.
    It's classic corporate increase of price to satisfy investors. That's all they worry about.
    Same with Gibson and everyone else. Welcome to XXI century!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    lizardking837 likes this.
  18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Talk to the Gibson folks; they can give you some pointers on how to resolve this.

19. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Wasn't the working title "Yawntera"? :)

lizardking837, jd56hawk and flojob like this.
  20. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    :) All this talk about Mustangs... does anyone have a retail price sheet from the year the (USA) 'racing stripe' models first came out? I wonder what that is in 2019 dollars...