1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender vs carvin/kiesel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sKyLiNe505, Mar 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sKyLiNe505

sKyLiNe505

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    Hey all, looking for a new bass go add. I own a Carvin SB5000 which I like a lot and have been looking for a pj bass configuration for slightly different sound. I saw a used carvin pb5 with radius pickup in the bridge around my area for $750 and also saw a fender pj bass deluxe with the N3 jazz pick up in the bridge for $900. Putting resell value and brand aside, which would be a better deal and will be more versatile? Better sound? I know the fender has a mid knob.

2. sKyLiNe505

sKyLiNe505

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    Forgot to mention the fender is a 4 string

3. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Ford, Toyota, Chevy, Honda, Subaru, Chrysler, GMC...

4. sKyLiNe505

sKyLiNe505

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    I have a 2014 Toyota Tacoma, really nice!! Haha

RobertUI, Afc70 and jaysbass2002 like this.
  5. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    I had a 2016 Tacoma. Huge POS, and traded it in 11 months after I bought it. Will never buy another Toyota vehicle ever again.

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  6. sKyLiNe505

sKyLiNe505

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    Too many problems with the 3rd gen

7. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Ain't that the truth! And good luck if you have a warranty issue with the 3rd Gen! I got so tired of dealing with it I went back to a Subaru and have zero regrets.

jaysbass2002 likes this.
  8. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Elkhart, IN
    Each bass will be a better deal, will be more versatile, and will have a better sound, as long as it is not a rebuilt Yugo.

obimark and RobertUI like this.
  9. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I have a 2002 Chevy Express van. It just runs and runs and runs. What were we talking about?

I would go with whichever one feels and sounds better, if there's a way to find out. All things being equal, the Carvin because $150 is $150.

jfh2112 likes this.
  10. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Wow! Thread went off the rails in the second reply. Is that a record?

11. sKyLiNe505

sKyLiNe505

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    Yes it did lol

12. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    I had an SB5000. Nice bass. A bit heavy and the body is big. I preferred Carvin to Fender but the Carvin necks are too thin for my taste. The Fender stuff tends to be neck heavy. I'm now rockin' a couple of Warmoth basses and one new-to-me Ibanez. Quite happy.

13. A-Ro

A-Ro

Mar 22, 2016
    Southwest Missouri
    I’d take the Carvin/Kiesel PB5 for $750 hands down. I owned one and to this day am sad I ever sold it thinking the grass is greener on the other side.

14. sKyLiNe505

sKyLiNe505

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    Thanks all

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I'd take the Fender.

16. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I own 2 of each and would never buy another Kiesel ever again. I would prefer not to buy a Fender, but given the choice of brand, I’d go Fender and change pups if it was a huge issue. I had some 3rd gen noiseless pups in a P/J combo and had no issues. I traded that bass when I bought my first F Bass.

17. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Oh god, so it's Toyota SR5 vs Chevy K5.

Fender.

Actually, to echo an earlier poster, most fenders I've played were neck heavy, I did find two that weren't, though. I bought them. One of them is close to as perfect as a bass needs to be for less money than an Alleva. Try them both, life is too short to spend more than an hour with a neck-heavy bass.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    n1as likes this.
  18. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    Been considering a Kiesel myself, can I ask you what issues you've had with them?

19. The string tighter spacing on carvin basses is what has always kept me from picking one up. That’s all I have to contribute.

20. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Their customer service is absent after the fact. Multiple e-mails, constantly changing stories, empty promises, and ultimately send it back and they will attempt to repair-- all painted with a touch of arrogance. The basses play ok, but are not what I think of as refined well crafted instruments as well; chunky lines, below average electronics, and weird symmetries. So, if you want a mass produced bass with custom colors, then it's probably an average choice. If you are truly looking for a custom instrument, then they aren't your bass. Personally, I would just buy the Epiphone or Squire and save the long wait and frustration should that type of bass be my desire. If I wanted a custom/boutique quality bass, I would watch the classifieds here or elsewhere and save to get that instrument. There really is a difference.