1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Vs. Fender Squier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funk$tar, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    squier-classic-vibe-precision-bass-60s-fiesta-red-rosewood-655902. 287025_21cdf25cf8e359cb8cc362f9fba1f952. 287026_907f0fb21ffedf74452b2df867e80002.

I'm wanting to purchase this nice Fender 99' Mexican Made Jazz Bass but I wanted to ask any owners or former owners or even anyone who has ever played one of em is it worth $280! I am also considering the Fender Squier Classic Vibe Precision bass. Not too sure yet so I just wanted to get some opinions of what others would do! Thanks!

2. Yes that jazz bass is definately worth the $280,the squier is a very nice p bass but u will never get close to what you payed for it if you ever want to sell it. Both basses come close in quality ,the jazz has better pickups and wiring respectably, as well as hardware ,but if I were you I would go with the jazz,offer the guy 250 and see what happens

Garret Graves likes this.
  3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    280 sounds right for an MIM J.

4. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    If you can get your hands on the '99 Jazz and play it, etc, you can then see what you think about it for yourself ... if not, realize a couple things ... it MAY be quite heavy, as in 10# range is not out of the question for this time frame .. also, it will have two cermic magnet pickups (neck pup size) that were made by Cort for Fender, and it is not uncommon for the truss rod to be maxxed on a MIM Standard Jazz in this time frame, and yes, bodywood is probably poplar, but thats not nescessarily a terrible thing either... you can check these things for yourself if you have access to it, otherwise at least ask any questions of the owner ... the value of a MIM Standard bass varies quite a bit, depending on era made, so it is best to be informed of the differences and hopefully try before you buy when you can ... with all that said, lots of happy users out there of basses just like this one ... depends what you know, and what you want out of your instrument ...

Lots of Squier CV happy owners/users too ... just realize if you buy new, you take the hit on the drop in value should you decide to move it along ... so it becomes a personal choice based on funds available and maybe how long you intend to keep it ... quite a few of these Squier CV basses for sale USED most of the time too ...

.. no need to make mods on either of these unless needed to meet your needs, but if you intend to, realize the pickup size issue with the MIM Standard, and bridge mounting hole issue with the CV P ...

5. rujulian

rujulian Guest

Apr 24, 2014
    Go with the cv p bass..dont modify it..never sell it....and your good..

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Do you have an opportunity to play both?

7. Love my CV 60's P bass. Bought it used but mint cond. for 200.00. One of my best deals! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1402104036.745811.

zapped777 and Funk$tar like this.
  8. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah, I would say the MIM Jazz is worth the $280.00, I personally own 3/4 of them and love every one of them. Can you tell I Love Jazz Basses? Haaaaaaa!! Good luck & Happy playing.

Funk$tar likes this.
  9. Any reason you're comparing a jazz bass and a precision bass? Why wouldn't you compare the Used MIM Jazz with a VM Jazz?

10. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    Funk$tar likes this.
  11. +1
    P to Jazz is the bass world version of apples to oranges. I'd first decide which Fender design you're going to be most comfortable plaing or like the inherent tonal characteristics of, then shop from that angle, not simply price. From the photo that jazz looks like it's had a fairly hard life and to me the $280 price might be a little on the high side.

I owned a MIM 99 P bass (for 2 years) that had the same tone/volume knobs. I'm pretty sure the body was poplar, if not, then it was the softest alder in existence. Every screw except the ones in the neck came loose and needed tooth pick repair to get them to stay in. It was also fairly light weight. Not sure exactly when the MIM's all switched to alder but I have an '03 MIM Jazz that is alder. The '03 Jazz is a good sounding / playing bass but from the factory is a notch or two lower quality control level when compared to the recent CV and VM Squires I've seen. I also own an '08 CV 60's P which is an amazing bass with no mods.

I'm tend to lean toward P basses and really really love the Squier CV 60 P.
    As always my $0.02 and YMMV

No photo = no bass(es) ...... so here are the basses
    08 CV 60's P. 03 MIM Jazz.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    Machiavelli likes this.
  12. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013

Thanks for the reply! Would you say it has that classic Larry Graham tone and what not!? I just really want a bass that will resemble that classic Fender Jazz tone, as for the classic vibe I probably would prefer a jazz bass due to the genres I play!

Machiavelli likes this.
  13. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I haven't owned a MIM Jazz for a few years, but the one you are looking at is definitely worth that price. The MIM Jazz is good quality and a good platform for upgrading if you get the urge later on. I've had a couple of bad experiences with Squier, but that's just me. Most folks that own the newer Squiers love them. If I had the choice I would go with the Jazz.

Funk$tar likes this.
  14. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    Yea I have really no reason why I did that haha that was my bad cause they are really both WAY different from each other! But I think I might go with the Jazz bass because I prefer a bass that gives me that nice raw Larry Graham/Marcus Miller kind of tone! I just wanted to make sure that whatever bass I bought was worth the money is all! So sorry for confusing everyone!

Machiavelli likes this.
  15. I'd go the Fender. $280 is a good deal (I paid $350 for mine with bartolini's installed), but of course I would attempt to tlk him down to $250 lol

Funk$tar likes this.
  16. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. there is a bit of confusion on this thread and the link above to the thread regarding size of the pickups, etc ... the bottom line, July of '01 the switch was made on MIM Standard Jazzes to conventional size pups (bridge longer) .. at the same time, the switch was made to using alder as the body wood rather than the previously used (mostly) poplar .. the earlier (pre 7/2001) two pups were ceramic magnet (from Cort), with the same part # (36437) .. post 7/2001 Fender began using their own ceramic magnet pups with the raised A and D poles, with part numbers 58294000/58295000 ... the reason it got confusing to some, is that the change was actually noted (as upgrades) in the 2002 Frontline and press releases for the 2002 models, even though the change took place mid year of '01 ... add that to the fact that when people see a serial # on a MIM Standard like MZ2xxxxxx, they call the bass a 2002/2003 model ... the result was people having the change happen all the way from ALL 2001's to (not until) 2003 ... the mid year model changes that Fender so often makes, tend to make things a bit more confusing than it should be when pinpointing exact times that changes occurred ...

Funk$tar likes this.
  17. If you want a jazz tone, why would you look at the Squier CV P-Bass? I'd recommend:

-Squier CV Jazz (60s or 70s depending on preference)
    -Squier VM Jazz
    -SX Ursa 2

18. So basically, this thread comes down to:

Buy a used MIM Jazz or a new Squier CV/VM Jazz.

Personally, I think the CV/VM (especially the VM) is better than a NEW MIM Jazz. You'd really have to play 'em both for you to make your own decision.

Funk$tar likes this.
  19. The primary reason some people use jazz basses is the thin neck it has.

For me, I find the CV/VM jazz squiers have thinner necks than the MIMs. It's something between the Geddy Lee signature and an MIM jazz bass. Super thin, super nice, and super easy to get around on.

Then again, I like the look of the MIMs because they look like tanks since they look bigger than the CVs or VMs.

20. I think that's only true for those who prefer the slim necks vis-a-vis the Precision. If slim necks are your main consideration, than an Ibanez would seem like a better option than both of them.