Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender vs. Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johans, Oct 6, 2005.

1. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    hey guys,

it might get a little general, but try to give your comment as specific :) the rivals are:

- mike dirnt sig
    - mark hoppus sig
    - geddy lee

since all of them are about the same prices..
    thanks

2. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    I recently tried all three of these basses at the local "Fender Hut" and liked the Geddy the best (and I'm a P bass guy). I thought that the other two sounded just O.K. and had kind of a lack of personality and a bulky, generic feel. The Geddy was the most comfortable and resonant.
    Its hard to say, though. I just tried one of each model. I guess I like the idea of the Hoppus bass the best out of those three. The one I tried, though, could have been any cheap, generic Fender copy.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Just go play them all (or better yet, several of each) and see which one "jumps out". Any of those will serve you well.

4. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    :D
    i thought geddy is a jazz? p-bass guy, hmm do you mean the feel, or the p sounding?

5. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    the thing is .. the local GC doesnt have any of them around .. i've played a hoppus sometime before .. we'll but i kinda forget how it sound .. i have other basses, i just want to get a fender for fun and as a backup :) are the soundclips of them

6. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    anyone can share which works for which music types?

let say
    a for jazz
    b for rock, metal etc

:)
    thanks

7. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Honestly, I think the Geddy Lee is hands down better than the other two listed. The other two are "okay." The Geddy Rocks. Many put the Geddy on par with USA jazz basses.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played all of them.

The Mark Hoppus id a pretty cool bass. J body with a single P and a P neck (IIRC). My only negitive comment is they're only avaialble (again, IIRC) in pastel Colors. If they had more colors available, they might sell more.

Mike Dirnt is another pretty cool bass. I love the look of the 50's P's and with the BasAss II and the Standard Slit P as opposed tot he Single Coil P made me like it more.

The Geddy Lee Jazz is the only Fender in my collection. That's how good it is. :D

9. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    thank you for all your responses :)

ok let me put it this way

now i will be having a bena's vortex and godin fretless in my hand .. which bass do you think will got me covered.. probably something for rock style..

10. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Still gonna stick with the Geddy Lee.

11. +like, 7 on the Geddy.

12. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    hmm
    any clips ? :)

is there a 'geddy lee' sign anywhere imprinted on the bass?

13. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    Neither. I just liked it better that the others even though I usually prefer P basses. It felt and sounded better. Seemed higher in quality.

14. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    thanks!

15. I love my Geddy, wouldn't trade it for the world. I have a Dirnt on the way and won't ever touch the Hoppus with a 10 foot pole.

16. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    can you post some clips of geddy? :D

17. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Very subtle, his signature is on the back of the headstock.

18. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'd go with the Geddy Lee 100 times out of 100.

19. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    I own both the Geddy and the Hoppus and I think your question comes down to whether you're looking for a Jazz bass or a Precision bass.

Do you want a 70s style Jazz bass with a shaved neck and a BAII bridge, a Precision bass with a Jazz body and Quarter Pounders, or a 50s styled Precision with a beefy neck and a Custom Shop pup?

Personally, I prefer the Geddy, but it's not going to sound like a Precision, nor would I want it to. FWIW, I can see all three working fine in a rock setting.

20. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    thanks!
    really valuable input!