Fender vs. G&L vs. MM

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chris J, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Ok guys which is better? :p

Seriously though, I was in a local store and asked if they carried G&L and they said no. Apparently their reason was because they carried Fender products. The guy explained that because both companies were made by Leo, it would put them in an awkward position to carry both brands. (Ridiculous IMO) But here's what gets me, they carry Ernie Ball stuff which was also started by Leo. What gives?
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What does Mike Money have to do with Fender and G&L?!

brad cook
  3. I guess that might make sense in some sort of twisted logical fashion.

It doesn't.

The closest thing I can think of is that to be a xxxbrand dealer, you have to buy $xxx worth of stuff. MusicMan stuff, is a lot of Fender design- but it is cosmetically unique. The G&L stuff, on the other hand, looks like it was designed by Leo Fender. An ASAT looks like a Telecaster, an L1000 looks like a Precision. For a music store to invest the money in instruments, they want to make sure they can sell stuff. If you didn't know a lot of the difference, would you pay $1200 for an L2000 or $300 for a "real" Fender Bass?
  4. They're all from California?

5. That seems to the the most logical explanation. Thanks. Oh and Brad you crack me up. :rolleyes: :p
  6. in my part of the world, a shop has to go through a rigorous selection process to become an authorised Fender dealer, or Gibson or whatever.

MM's are not allowed to be in the same section of the shop as Fenders, G&L's aren't allowed to be stocked by the dealer and Gibsons are not allowed to be stocked in the same area as Epiphones.

Manufacturers have to know that they are getting the best point of sale exposure for their products or they simply deal through another shop.
  7. In my area, the music stores are forced to have very bizarre non-competition agreements. Let me explain. Two stores stock fender, so the third one isn't allowed. Only one store is allowed to stock new Gibsons, and they do so and a lease basis basically. They don't actually own any of their stock in Gibsons- Gibson does. And the store has to pay fees to keep the Gibsons there if they don't sell.

It goes on and on like this... pretty ridiculous.