1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Vs. G&L Vs. Sire

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassicBitch, Jul 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Fender MIM Jazz

17.0%
  2. Sire V7 Vintage Alder

17.0%
  3. G&L Tribute L2000

59.0%
  4. Sire M7

7.0%
  1. BassicBitch

BassicBitch

Mar 3, 2016
    Ireland
    Hello guys. I've recently been getting better and better at bass, and have been thinking about the purchase of a new instrument. Before listing my main choices, let me tell you a bit about what type of music I play, and what basses I have been playing.

The main bass I play is a Harley Benton Precision Bass. It is a rather cheap bass, but it's very good. However the pickup isn't great and some of the frets are not level. I bought it used when first starting out, along with a Harley Benton 40W Amp, about 2 years ago. A few months after starting out i bought a new Rouge 5 string, which was about twice as expensive as the HB, but when it arrived was terribly set up. I don't play it very often due to it's poor quality, even though i set it up to the best of my limited ability. I do however like it's tone (it has jazz style pickups).
    For about 3 months in the year I am away from Ireland (where i live) and stay in Poland, where I have a Toby Deluxe-4. It also has jazz style pickups, which i like. It plays nice too now that I've fiddled with its setup, however it has rather poopie electronics (i also bought this bass used and it appears it's wiring has been mis-treated, as all the pots are scratchy and the treble knob seems to not be working at all).
    The 'best' bass I've played is a MIM Fender Precision I played on two separate occasions in a guitar store, when I was buying pedals. It felt so much nicer to play than my basses, and I am convinced of it's quality.

I usually play things such as Metallica, RHCP, Tool and Primus. Funky stuff as well as metal and solo-y Burton type stuff

And now, my choices.
    Fender Standard MIM Jazz
    Sire MM v7 Vintage Alder
    G&L Trib. L2000

I've heard nothing but good things about the Sire, but I've never played one. I have played a MIM fender, although it wasn't a jazz, so i know more or less the quality. The G&L is just something that i think might be a good choice but I'm not certain about.

Before buying a new bass, I will be going to a guitar shop to try out a few more pedals, where I will see if i can try out a MIM Jazz (the shop i go to has a limited selection of basses).

I need your guys' help in deciding which bass to buy, or neither of these if you have other suggestions within this sort of price range (500 to 750 euro). I would also be a fan of 24 fret instruments, if you guys know any good ones in this price range, although this isn't a must. Not wanting more than 4 strings or things that are not accessible in Europe.

Thanks for your help, it would be great to hear more experienced opinions. If you need more info, ask.

(sorry for the long post)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I have both a Fender MiM J (4 string) and a Sire V7 5er, and the Sire beats the Fender MiM in every category except weight. I voted for the Sire, I'd put the G&L in 2nd place, I've read good things about some of them here. Nothing wrong with the Fender MiM, mind you, just outclassed by the Sire all around.

el_Bajo_Verde and BassicBitch like this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    The L-2000 will be far more versatile than either of the other two.
    downside-they can be heavy

check out the L-2000 controls diagram:

main.php?g2_view=core.

4. Hawk600

Hawk600

Dec 19, 2015
    Nashua, NH
    Here is my input, I owned a 2015 MIM Jazz and it sounded ok; finish was nice but neck came with a lot of fret sprout so it was really disappointing since for instance all Squiers I have tried to date had better QC than the MIM Fender.
    I liked the tone but it sounded a little weak to my ears, so I tried a pickup upgrade because I wanted a more punchier jazz bass tone. Tried a couple different pups and none made it so I was thinking in moving to a US jazz bass when I found the Marcus Miller Sires and ordered a V7 (not the Vintage).
    I could not be happier with the fit/finish and tone (tuning machines did not look good though but work very well keeping the tune). The Passive mode tone was better that my MIM Jazz and turning the preamp on was like hitting the turbo button, is just amazing! There are a bunch of folks here that sold their US Fender Jazz after getting the Sire V7, just read the Sire thread.

I also looked to buy a US GL L2000 for some time but gave up after some research and listening to it as the V7 covers everything I need.

I would go with Sire but this is just my opinion (I atually have the new P7 P/J on order and might get rid of my Fender P if the Sire plays as expected. I am sure you will get a lot of different feedback since we have many passionate GL and Fender followers on TB.

el_Bajo_Verde and BassicBitch like this.
  5. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    NH

You can also look into doing the K-mod to an l-2000. This gives you the option of changing the series/parallel switch to be wired to a 3 position switch to give you a single coil from each pickup like a jazz. There are threads on the K-mod here. Do a search to find the info

Glazenn and BassicBitch like this.
  6. Asat77

Asat77

Apr 29, 2015
    I have the sire v7 vintage and a L2000 usa. They are both great and totally different basses but I choose my G&L above the Sire. It feels and plays better to me and has a different sound which I like more than the Sire. But I also like e Sire. They complete each other. My advice is to try both basses, we can't choose for you, it is very personal.

TDR1138 and BassicBitch like this.
  7. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I picked the G&Like because of the versatility. No experience with Sire, but they are getting a lot of good publicity right now.

You might consider budgeting €50 for a professional setup.

8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    If versatility and weight are factors, check out the Sire M7 - as versatile as anything out there, and much lighter than a V7.

9. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    Kick ass, take names and play a L2K.

10. BassicBitch

BassicBitch

Mar 3, 2016
    Ireland
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, so far I'm leaning towards the g&l or sire m7. The m7 has the 24 frets that I would like but I think i prefer the g&l in blue with maple fretboard. I would prefer a maple board, which none of the m7s have. Still got a month or two till final decision tho, so nothings set in stone

11. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

G&L

12. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    How do you know what sounds good?

13. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    Where are you in Ireland? If you're ever down South Tipp way you're welcome to try my L2k. Everyone should have one, they're phenomenal instruments, really a great design.

14. Not in the list but I would buy a road worn MIM jazz bass I were you... best bass kept secret likely ...

15. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    G&L. The L2K is monstrous in tone and is second to none, in my eyes.

16. Basstards

Basstards

Oct 7, 2016
    I own a G&L Tribute SB2 as my backup bass and love playing it. I did have to file the nut to get the action down, but with a proper setup, G&Ls tributes sound and play great.
    No experience with Sire or the L2000. I withheld from voting.

jd56hawk likes this.
  17. BassicBitch

BassicBitch

Mar 3, 2016
    Ireland
    I live in cavan. Thanks for your offer, however there is a shop in Dublin which stocks a usa l2k, i might check it out to get s feel.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  18. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    G&L, Leo's finest bass. It really is the Leatherman Multitool of basses. Don't be intimidated by the three switches, in practice you will probably set and forget, but its nice to have the range of tonal options covering all the most common P, J and even Ric-ish tones. Built like a tank, and on the heavy side, but not excessive. I've had mine since 1983, zero problems. I can count the number of times I've had to adjust the trussrod on one hand.

Frank77 likes this.
  19. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    The sire m7 will get the tonal variety. It's a ridiculously versatile electronics setup. L2000 will probably be similar. The other two are fine instruments, but will be tonally limited compared to those two.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  20. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Not on your list, but if you are visiting Poland I wonder what the market there is like for Mayones instruments? They are made in Poland. In the USA they are marketed as a boutique line and are expensive, but the market may be different there. You may be able to pick up a used one reasonably priced. The Jabba model is very Jazz Bass like with some of Mayones' innovations added for good measure. They are outstanding instruments and definitely worth a look. If nothing else, you may like them and aspire to own one in the future.