1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender vs G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lalala, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Lalala

Lalala

Sep 15, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Hey everyone, I'm considering either an Olympic White Fender FSR 70's Precision (MIA), a Fender 70's Precision (MIJ) or a G&L SB1/2 (MIA duh).
    The reason why I insist on the 70's version is the slightly slimmer neck, and the gorgeous looks of course. I already own a Fender AJB-58 Aerodyne (with pg) and an Ibanez TR 500 Expressionist. My findings with the TR are that after a long night of playing my hands get tired of playing the big chunky plank of wood while the jazz neck on the AJB sometimes feels to slim. I like to dig in deep into a nice chunk of wood from time to time.
    What I've found out so far about the G&L is that it (apparently) has a slightly thicker neck than the jazz but not as thick as the 70's P (40mm). I'm not so much interested in the build quality as I realise the G&L quite easily surpasses both Fenders but what I want to know is how the tonal characteristics of the Fender and the G&L compare.
    For the money the G&L is going to cost me I shouldn't leave it, it's gonna cost me 850 USD at my local dealer which I believe is a steal. Please reply & let me know.