Fender vs G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lalala, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Lalala

Sep 15, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Hey everyone, I'm considering either an Olympic White Fender FSR 70's Precision (MIA), a Fender 70's Precision (MIJ) or a G&L SB1/2 (MIA duh).
    The reason why I insist on the 70's version is the slightly slimmer neck, and the gorgeous looks of course. I already own a Fender AJB-58 Aerodyne (with pg) and an Ibanez TR 500 Expressionist. My findings with the TR are that after a long night of playing my hands get tired of playing the big chunky plank of wood while the jazz neck on the AJB sometimes feels to slim. I like to dig in deep into a nice chunk of wood from time to time.
    What I've found out so far about the G&L is that it (apparently) has a slightly thicker neck than the jazz but not as thick as the 70's P (40mm). I'm not so much interested in the build quality as I realise the G&L quite easily surpasses both Fenders but what I want to know is how the tonal characteristics of the Fender and the G&L compare.
    For the money the G&L is going to cost me I shouldn't leave it, it's gonna cost me 850 USD at my local dealer which I believe is a steal. Please reply & let me know.