Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender vs. Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigby, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Bigby

Bigby

Dec 30, 2005
    I'm looking for a new bass and just wanted some of your opinions. Style of music is rock/funk..prefer warm tone with lots of punch. I've played these in the store, very happy with each one, however; I'd rather get some feedback from those that have actually put these instruments to the test.

Lakland 55-02 Skyland Deluxe 5-string
    Lakland 55-01 Skyline 5-string

Good Old Standard: Fender American P-bass

Thanks!

2. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    I've owned a 5501. I consider it to be an excellent choice; it did well when compared to the Fender Jazz American Deluxe 5 that I owned. Capable of fat bottom and also good midrange tone. A little harsh on the high end, but this can be overcome with EQ. Build qualty is excellent. The neck is a bit wide for my taste; I feel more comfortabe with a Stringay 5 or Thumb 5. The 5501 neck is similar to the Fender Jazz 5, but less chunky. Overall, I would highly recommend the 5501. I've not played the 5502, but believe that the only difference from the 5501 is in the electronics. As for the P bass, are you thinking 5 string or 4 string. I have no experience with the five string, but still own the 4 string Precision that I purchased in 1973 and have never considered selling the P bass. I feel the Precision is a staple. Finally, the 5501 and a 4 string P bass are completely different animals, but either is a worthy choice. The 5501 may have the edge if you intend to slap, but the P bass can also be used very effectively for slapping.

3. old grouch

old grouch "Old Fool? Ya don't get old, bein' no fool!"

After agonizing (in my own little way) I ended up with a Lakland 44-02. The feel is great, the tone, all over and specific is also great. IMO, I like jazz sounds, so I will probably plunge for some Optima 24K Gold Flatwounds. (+/- $55 a set-not so killer). Its lighter than the P Bass, (I owned a 59, but unlike you, found a great opportunity to sell it whil in St Croix-an act for which I will pi$$ & Moan until my dying day, and possibly after!). So, and the end, if you have the schekles, try a Lakland 4402, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/517720/and (1) if you get it from MF or 123, you can swap it before the 45 day clock runs out, (2) and go for the 5502, or whatever you want to try. When I bought my twangstick, I went to the 4th model before settling in with it. (It happened to be the US Ash-body Telecaster, and I believe its perfect!)

4. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Also a good choice if you go 4 string.