Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender vs Musicman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kwanzai, Apr 6, 2002.

1. kwanzai

kwanzai

Mar 25, 2002
    USA
    Which do u guys like better:

Fender
    Ernieball

:)

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I like My Ray 5 better than any fender i've played.. Not that I don't like fender, I think they are great, but I just love the ray tone and feel..

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    in order
    1.stingray 4
    2.fender p
    3.fender jazz
    4.sterling
    5.stingray 5

I dig the feel of musicmans better, the tone is unbeatable on a stingray. A vintage P will come close to as cool a tone but not quite, imo.

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Fender. Ive never really like any MM Ive played.

5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Fender for me too. Stingrays are okay, but I never felt like I had to have one- and I've played many. I like my American Deluxe P better than 'Rays, and I like my Peavey Millennium 5 better than 'Ray 5's.

6. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I think the fit and finish is a little better on the MusicMan.I also like G&L a little better then Fender.
    Larger production on Fender means their is a better
    chance you will get a clunker. I have played new Fender's that where great and some that where not.I do like them all though.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    The handle of my fridge is more user-friendly than the remote control of my DVD player :D

It's hard to say if one prefers MM than Fender or vice-versa without specifying which models are compared.

I guess the most accurate match would be a comparison between a StingRay and a Deluxe P-Bass. In this comparison, I prefer the MM. The Deluxe P-Bass has some unwanted treble that bind you to lower the treble frequencies on the EQ controls.

But even there, that's a matter of taste, since many players love having very rich treble in their sound. I don't, but it's only my very personal taste.

All the best,

8. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Fender the MIM Deluxe P-Bass is the best bass I have ever played call me crazy but I have yet to come across another that was better... now all I gotta do is get the funds to buy it... :(

Oh yea and in case you couldn't tell my votes for Fender. :D

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    out of the two - i'd take the 75 Jazz RI (w/rosewood board and J-retro), jazz 5 FMT, or marcus miller jazz before i'd buy my sterling again.

but my sterling is pretty badass.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    MM's are nice, but if I could only have one it would be a Fender P

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm with Mike. Stingray's are nice pieces of hardware, but give me a P any ol' day. The Whump of a P IMO beats the Stingray's Cut flat out.

Course, if I could, I'd get the Fender Ameri P Deluxe, the one w/ the humbucker, AND the P.

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    stingray 4. Precison, Jazz. together with the rick 4001 to me they are the best bass designs and concepts on the market of "mass produced instruments" so i'd choose fender 2-1 on musicman and rick.

13. Hmmm.... I own a MIA Jazz bass and a Stingray 5. I dearly love both of them. So uh, both?

14. I love them both... but I'd rather just have my Precision than just have a Musicman.

15. I have a Ray 4 and an american standard Jazz, and am currently gassing for a P bass. My opinion is that they all do their own thing quite well and if you really like the tone of all of them, then you probly should own one of each (thats my plan). I would however give MM the edge in fit,finish, & playability.

16. I myself am gassing for a Fender Am Dlx P-5, and have owned a Fender Marcus Miller Sig J-Bass. But I also love the MM 5....hmm this is a toughy!

17. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    My L-2000 feels better to me than any Fender I've ever played.....But, if I could ever get comfortable with the 5th string on that Ray, the G&L would never leave the case. The Stingray just plays effortlessly. And the tone is just want I want to hear in a bass.

Dave

18. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    New-MusicMan
    (the) OLD(er) the better- FENDER

**proud owner/operator: '69 P-Bass
    '99 Sterling

19. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000