fender vs picato flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by allroundbassnut, Jan 1, 2013.

1. allroundbassnut

allroundbassnut

Jul 8, 2012
    struggling to decide! opinions please everybody! :L

2. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    Um...Fender flats I know about, but Picatos?...not so much. What's the difference in price?

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1 Never heard of that brand you should get some so we know what they sound like :)

5. BassBod

BassBod

Aug 18, 2006
    Bristol, UK
    Picatos are old style flats - fairly stiff, thuddy....just like they (actually) made them in the 60's. Great if you like that style of string, and pretty good value in Europe (not sure how pricey they are in the USA).

6. Bassjocky

Bassjocky

Apr 20, 2013
    Rugeley
    I had a set of of the 5 string flatwound delivered on Monday the 11th Jan', put hem on,,,,,,,,,,B string dead and un tuneable, E string dead. Called Strings direct, was promised replacements, still waitin ,:(

Used almost every set of strings available over 45 years of playing, and i have to say these are the worst i have ever tried, may have well used wool!!.

Do yourself a favour, stay away from Picato, Fender flat wounds are cheaper and better, pity they don't do 5 string sets.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  7. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    I have to stick up for Picato. I used the nickel wounds for years.
    I tried a set of D'Addario a while ago and got the same tone as I had from the Picatos, but they do last longer and have a smoother feel to them.
    If D'Addario stopped making the XL's I would be straight back to using Picato strings.

8. StereoPlayer

StereoPlayer

Aug 29, 2010
    West Africa
    I've been trying to find Picato round wounds. Not too available in the USA.
    I used them in the '70's.

S-Bigbottom and SirMjac28 like this.
  9. Bassjocky

Bassjocky

Apr 20, 2013
    Rugeley
    Mmmmm, i thought i said "Flatwounds",,,,,shackle me shekkels i did,i did say Flatwounds!!

10. Eikari

Eikari

Jun 21, 2015
    Iceland
    Fender 90505 L 040-125tw