1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender VS Schecter??????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mo' Bass 00, May 29, 2007.

1. Mo' Bass 00

Mo' Bass 00

Aug 15, 2006
    I am thinking of buying a Schecter Stileto Elite 5 but I have never owned a Fender and would really like a nice MIA, I do keep in mind the Fender 5 String may be not up to par with the Schecter's 35" scale and Neck Through design!

What do ya think?:bag:

2. they both are amazing basses, I personally recommend going and trying them both out before deciding. You know you just started a Fender sucks/Fender rocks kinda thing right...lol
    I like fender but they arent my thing.

3. LutherHeggs00

LutherHeggs00

Apr 11, 2006
    I had a Schecter Studio 4. It had EMG's (HZ's I think). Really crappy bridge. Neck thru, 4 string. Sounded 'thin' with crackly pots.

I didn't like it at all. I spent a couple of more $ and bought a Lakland Skyline JO4. Real nice bass, nice feel, passive Lindy Fralins. Quality head & shoulders over Schecter (also from Korea). I liked Lakland so much after that I bought a 44-02.

Moral of the story: The Schecter did not do it for me. :spit:

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Fender > Schecter. At least in my book. I've never played a bad Fender (though some could have used better setups) and none of the Schecters that I have played stood out amongst the other lower-end imports.

5. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    I just went from a MIM Fender P to a Schecter Custom 4. The Schecter feels undoubtedly better than the Fender. Granted, the Schecter is a I think $70-80 more. And worth every penny. Never played an MIA though so I can't help you there.

6. HoDog

HoDog

Sep 25, 2006
    Sydney
    I'm facing the same dilemna. and theres a super guitar sale this weekend. The main targets:

Fender MIM j bass
    or a

Schecter Custom 4

. What are your opinions on this. I want to keep one long term (that is possibly capable for upgrading) and VERSATALITY. i play from church to pop to metal

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Subjective opinions aside, if you're looking for something to upgrade down the road then definitely go with the Jazz bass. There are more aftermarket drop-in products for the Fender Jazz than any other bass made. You can find an upgrade or replacement for any component, and in most case there are several to choose from.

8. HoDog

HoDog

Sep 25, 2006
    Sydney
    would u say an aftermarket j bass, say a new bridge, dimarzio Js, audere preamp (although this process will b a long process), is definitely better than a custom 4? or will it be self preference

9. if my schecter was a woman, id give it some sweet summer lovin..... heck, i do that now lol

i play a custom-4, and this bass litteraly feels like it was custom made for me

10. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    It depends on the sound you want. Sure you can upgrade the Jazz bass, and if that gies you the sound you want then that is what you should do. But like I said, my Custom 4 feels hands down leaps and bounds better than my MIM P Bass. Maybe I got lucky, but the Schecter feels like it is in a different class than any MIM Fender I have tried. Of course, the only opinion that really matters is your own so you need to get down to a guitar shop and try them.

11. I've owned that Schecter model for nearly three years now and it's been my go-to bass since day one. I'm not a Fender fan so I don't know or like much about them. I can tell you, though, that the Elite 5 sounds better than a lot of basses I've played that cost twice or three times as much.

As already stated, I'd suggest that you play them both and see what you like. I have to warn you on one thing though - after about two years you'll probably have to buy some new tuning keys. I've had to buy three keys in the last 5 months because they have broken/failed and I've got a fourth one on its way out. Other than that, though, the bass is pretty solid and the neck-through design is amazing.

One more thing! Make sure you get the correct allen wrench for the truss rod when you buy it - I was not supplied one (bloody Guitar Center!) and it was quite a headache finding the right one on my own.

12. I own one of each. You are comparing apples to oranges there. You really need to make up your mind which one you want by playing each. I have the Schecter Studio 5 with the 3 band active preamp. It has a wide range of tonal variety, but is missing the woody sound of the Fender. The string spacing was great when I first got it, but since I got the Jazz V, the string spacing on the Studio 5 makes it a little aggravating to switch between the two. The Am. Jazz V Deluxe is my go-to bass. The quality is stunning and the playability is there. Both have 18V active preamps, but the Schecter's is a little hotter. Also, the Jazz is about 2X the price of the Schecter, if that's a consideration for you. If I had to sell one or the other, sadly it would be the Schecter. But I don't have to.:hyper:

13. C33 Four

C33 Four

May 25, 2007
    I would say Schecter. Unbelievable playability. Although Fender is known for it's sound.

Still, I would say Schecter. But that's just me.

14. Mo' Bass 00

Mo' Bass 00

Aug 15, 2006
    Ok,Guys and Gals, I decided on the Schector Stiletto Elite 4, thanks everyone for the feedback! I have been looking at this one for a long time, just hope I don't regret not buying the Fender!

Here's a pic.;)

123.jpg

15. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    A review would be interesting ;)

16. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Inactive

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Schecters are good except for that stupid, tedious, S-Tek bridge. If your going to go MIA Fender go with the Deluxe series with the active electronics. 18Volts ! The Standard MIA's are $1040.00 The Deluxe $1250.00. It's worth it.
    I have a MIM Jazz V Deluxe 9volt active and it is a tone monster so imagine the American one. Go for it.

17. Been playing an Elite 5 for a while now, and wouldn't trade it for the world! Replaced the Elixir strings with LaBella and absolutely love the sound!

S-Tek bridge does take a bit getting used to. Do invest in an Allen Wrench (smaller size than normal) but once the thing was set, I've vary rarely had to fool with it (if at all.)

String spacing does make it a hard bass to slap on, but the balance, feel, sound and look (black cherry finish) more than makes up for it.

18. :D Great choice, my friend! Be sure to write a review or at least give us an update once you've had time to get used to it and know the instrument! :)

19. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Inactive

Jan 11, 2006
    I would have gotten a Fender

I don't dig Schecter's at all

20. that doesnt say much about the style of music you use it for, fenders and schecters are two completely different basses, im sure he chose the schecter cuz it best suited him :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021