Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender vs warmoth questions/advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Sep 2, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ok, here comes my O.C.D. and some pretty bad gas all in one shot.

1.) fender american standard finishes are polyurethane. so are warmoth. has anyone had any problems with the finishes from them?

2.) ive heard of some luthiers useing warmoth bodies for their custom basses. which companies would be doing this?

3.) if i swapped a p-bass body out for a warmoth jazz(or mia fender jazz) would the neck pocket be the right size? i realize i may need to shim, but if i cam accross a jazz body from fender would i just be able to slap it on and have it work good?

4.) has anyone ever done this? ie. putting an mia fender p neck on a jazz bass body? whether it be fender or warmoth?

im kinda looking into changing some things up. buying a complete custom bass would run me a lot. figure since the neck is super dope on my p. just slapping it on a jazz body with a dope finish.

thanks in advance.

2. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    Warmoth parts are supposed to be direct replacements for fender, plus fender only wishes they could paint like warmoth.

3. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    unless its a 22 fret special deluxe or lite. check there website it has all the info.

4. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    How would you guys rate a Fender American P Bass Deluxe vs. a Warmoth with similar set up (made buy a Warmoth Builder)?

I like the way a P Bass Deluxe plays, and am quite close to buying one, but how do things like the quality of body woods and overall workman ship compare between these two companies? What about quality control?

Should i just buy one of each?

(sorry about the thread hijank but i didn't want to start a new Warmoth vs Fender Thread)

5. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    I had a 2004 MIA P for a while, and the paint job wasn't the greatest. I guess the real problem was that the wood wasn't dried properly, so I got short checkmarks along the grain. No problems tonewise, though.

6. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    recomendations anyone? (bump)

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. I don't like poly finishes but I have no problems with the one on my 98 MIA Jazz.

2. Don't know, but none of them would admit to it if they did.

3. More than likely yes.

4. People do that a lot, though I have no idea why.

I am completely against modding basses, especially Fenders. Why? Because I own a 1976 P that I bought new in 1976. I modded that bass over and over, pickups, bridges, refinishes, pulling frets out, etc., and now I see basses like mine going for $2000 and more if they're stock. I'd be lucky to sell mine for $400 now. If you want to mod a bass, buy Warmoth parts (or whatever parts). Modding a nice Fender may seem like a good way to change your bass on the cheap, but in the long run you're going to screw yourself.

You are better off sucking it up and buying a Warmoth body and neck, and then you can mod it to your heart's content and never have to worry about destroying its resale value.

As for P Deluxe vs Warmoth made similar, I would go with the Fender every single time. Many Warmoth basses are great, no doubt about it, but you will never get the resale value out of it that you would a Fender. If that doesn't concern you, then you might want to get a Warmoth, as they really do nice work, but it will probably cost a lot more and if you try to sell it, you won't even get close to what you'd get for a Fender.

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm personally not really sure what you're asking here - to my knowledge Warmoth doesn't have any type of "preferred builders" list, although pretty much every one here would tell you to go with Nino Brown. If I ever go with a Warmoth-constructed bass, he'll be my man.

Again, a large part depends on the builder of the Warmoth, but IMO the workmanship of a single bass built by a single person (no Wish jokes, please ;) ) will always beat a production-level bass. Warmoth parts quality is also outstanding - they've been used by such name companies such as Yamaha and Pedulla as suppliers at various times(Pedulla for a short time while they were having production problems for a short time, Yamaha for their high-end Pacifica series g*itars for over a decade now)

The positives as I see them are complete control over and expanded number of options (woods, hardware, routing for pickups) then Fender. The negatives, however, would again be finding a qualified builder, cost that could easily top a Fender depending on what you get, the lack of an "overall" warrantee (the individual body, neck, hardware, pickups would have them, but not the bass as a "whole") and resale value. It would be much easier to sell/make more money reselling a Fender than it would a Warmoth parts bass.

My recommendation would be to play the Fender, and if it suits your needs and is up to par in quality to go for it. However, if you feel that the elusive "something" is missing that you could get by a custom Warmoth and have the money to do so, go for it knowing the risks.

9. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    If you are any good with sandpaper soldering irons and screwdrivers there is no reason to have a builder make your bass. I built mine. Its a T style with a black korina body and maple maple neck. It has sd quarter pounder pickups,scpb at the neck and jazz at the bridge(I dont think fender offers that option, great advantage to building a warmoth.) It cost me approx 650.00 and took about 3 weeks to complete(most of that time was finishing with tru oil about 20 minutes a day).I dont think I have seen or felt a off the rack fender that came close to fit finish and quality(I dont know about custom shop but those are totally different animals).The real question is do you want a bass that you can say you built and is yours or do you want a bass to play with for a while and then sell.

10. Skaboy21

Skaboy21

Dec 23, 2004
    W-R NJ
    yes it can be done, but i suggest just tryin to stick with the Jazz neck. everything is a little closer to eachother on a jazz neck, so its easier to hit a wrong note. ontop of that, slappin and poppin is conciterably harder on jazzes too. personally, i'd say stick with it because once u get it going, it'll be easier for u to move around on the jazz neck. ontop of that, playing on a neck that hard will make u more adaptable when playing other basses. i have a fender deluxe active jazz, and an ibanez gsr200. i play out and such on my jazz but for fun, when i'm home i'll just play on the ibanez, and it's like 5x easier to slap on. what i mean to say is once u get it going, it's all good!

jay :bassist:

11. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ok. the reason i want to put a p neck on a jazz body is because the p neck is more comfortable for me. the jazz neck is too small. i'd love to get a jazz, but the neck is just eh.

so i was debating just swapping out the bodies and going from there. my main thing is, i love my fender neck. itplays like butter. the finish on the body is just scratch central and im affraid it will eventually hit wood. like i see on all the other older fenders. to some, this looks cool. to me, it just looks crappy. it is the most comfortable neck that ive ever had on any of my basses. ie why i wanted to just swap it out.

what i will probably do is this. keep the p-bass up an running as my main bass because i will need a bass while all this is going on. ive just had some major gas for a customer jazz bass lately. i will buy the jazz body from warmoth with the rear access and then build from there. i will probably do all the building myself. i have a good grasp on the way the pick ups are wired and what parts go where. once i find a good fender p-bass neck(like the one on my main fender) and then have it put on, and set up by either nino or the guy who does my set ups do it. i kinda wanna go with nino, cause his **** is always extra neat. plus, when i get the fender neck, i want it to say "jazzecision" or something along those lines.

its good to hear that the warmoth finishes are better.

12. Take the shop tour and see for yourself.

http://www.warmoth.com/customerservice/aboutus/shoptour/tour1.htm

These guys are pros. I wouldn't exactly call everything handmade...you'll see in the tour. I consider "handmade" to be without using big, programmable machines. They do have some homemade and vintage equipment that is neat though. Everything is very precise. I imagine they would have no problem cutting a P neck pocket in a Jazz body. Also, the selection of woods is awesome. Some woods don't need a finish, even some open grains. Some (like Walnut) only need 3 coats of polyurethane.

If you're going to go the custom Jazz route then why not get a wood that would look killer with a good dye rub? Fender doesn't make dye basses and you'd be the envy of many a bass player. And as for resale, a good dye will get you a very good deal. It's very easy to tell the difference between a dye and something else. They look very 3D and stand out. Dye rubs are to the eye as harmonic overtones are to the ear. But I wouldn't sell a custom bass if I were you. Especially a dye...

But if this is something you are really considering I would go further than the standard. That's what I'm going to do. Also, there was a 5 week turnaround on my Gecko 5 neck.