Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Vs. Warmoth Vs. Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paintandsk8, Jan 31, 2005.

3 way streetfight!

Poll closed Feb 7, 2005.
  1. Fender American Deluxe Jazz V

25 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. Warmoth Deluxe 5 (details below)

14 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Lakland JO5

55 vote(s)
    53.4%
  4. other

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    So what do you guys think. The three basses in question are:

1. Keep my 99 American Deluxe Jazz Bass V.

2. Get a used Warmoth Deluxe 5 (Alder body, spalted maple top, pau ferro board, emg dual J's, schaller bridge, etc.)

3. Get a used Lakland Skyline JO5.

The bass i get will be used for all styles of jazz and some light rock. Build quality/craftsmanship is very important to me, and tone definetly comes first (but I have been gassin for spalt). I would really like to try the basses out but I can't find a JO5 or warmoth 5 anywhere around here. What do you guys think?

2. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Maple caps and non-rosewood fingerboards are deviations from a true Jazz bass, so the issue is....how close to an authentic Jazz does it have to be? Will the described deviations bring you closer or further from your tonal nirvana?

You already have the 1999, what is wrong with it? Will the Warmouth be closer to your sound or is it just to look pretty?

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    One important question to answer is: Do you want a 35" scale neck or can you make do with a 34"?

4. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Well the 34" vs. 35" decision is one of great weight. I have owned both, and can play both comfortably. I like the feel of a 34" and the sound of a 35". The B isn't great on my fender but as many have said, there are plenty of 34's with good B's and 35's with bad ones.

and as far as deviating from a true jazz, I have no problem with that. Authentic jazz isn't necessarily what i'm going for.

I've noticed that there is a lot of downtalk about "pretty basses", but I believe that there is a lot to be said for looks, I definetly view musical instruments as art. So if the warmoth will sound as good as my fender jazz to me, then I'll take the warmoth on looks. So, yes the warmoth is just to look pretty.

So, what is wrong with my Fender, well nothing specifically. But before i got my fender, I didn't think there was anything wrong with my washburn taurus :meh: . I'm just on the search for the next best thing.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I voted lakland.

6. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Lakland !!!

7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am a big fan of the warmoth stuff, but used they should be pretty inexpensive. Fender is a name, but you cannot count on consistancy. The Lakeland's, however, are well built basses and hold their value over the years. Good investment and good bass.

Hands down, LAKELAND :hyper:

8. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Lakland. Consistent quality, tone, comfortable to play, and exceptionally good customer service if needed. My preference is the J/MM configuration. With the coil selector, this gives you two 'jazz' tones.

9. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    so you guys think that a lakland skyline will hold it's own against an american fender in the quality department?
    I still have a hard time with the korea thing. 4 of 6 basses i have owned were US made.

10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I just ordered a Lakland DJ5. I'll post a review when it arrives, though it will be a week or two because I'm getting the J-retro preamp installed at the factory. I, too was concerned about the Korea issue, researched it in detail, went down and played some Skylines, and decided it's a non-issue for me. The Skylines seemed to be better than any of the MIA Fenders I've played, IMO.

You might want to look at the Lakland website. There's an article about the Skylines, and how much work is done to them after they leave Korea. I think calling them "Korean" is doing them an injustice and not telling the whole story.

11. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    thats good to hear. I think i'm going to go on a big shopping trip on wed. Hopefully I will find some lakland's to try.

12. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Lakland JO5...

They are some of the nicest necks & B strings I've ever heard. Dan and Co. are making things right over there...

13. Lak, hands down!

14. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    The question is whether Lakland Skylines are of equal quality with Fenders. IMO, the Skyline is at or above the quality of normal American made Fenders, and the USA Laklands are above the quality of anything made by Fender. As it should be for the latter, considering the price.

15. lakland for sure

16. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    if build quality is important to you, who put together the warmoth should be a factor

If you already have a Fender that's a "keeper," and you enjoy it, i'd hold on to it, it will cost time and money to switch.

17. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    The only Fenders that I've had are older ones but I do like Lakland Skylines. That's what I voted for. The late model Fenders just don't seem as well built as the Skylines. I don't know about Warmoth though.

18. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    well the warmoth was built by a professional tech, so presumably the assembly is pretty solid. I gotta say that you guys pretty much have me convinced to go with the lakland. Actually I've already started shoppping, but I'm also still talking to the warmoth's owner and haven't completely ruled it out.

19. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The most important thing is to play all the basses you're considering. The Lakland "spoke" to me, as had the Steinberger I bought 15 years ago. It's a rare experience, like love, but you'll know it when it happens. :D Even the best basses vary from model to model.

20. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Well I went shopping today. When I left this morning I fully expected to come home with a lakland. But things didn't turn out that way. Out of five music stores, I found 2 laklands, a 55-01 and a J05. I was not impressed with either, in the tone or craftsmanship department. Maybe it was an isolated case, but for now I'm going to hang on to the Fender Jazz. I guess i just forgot how hard it is to find a good bass.