Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender/warmoth question and advice...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thetaurus, Apr 2, 2004.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    okay...so here's my dilemma. sometime this summer i'd like to buy another bass in addition to my jazz that i currently have. i was thinking about getting a p bass, because i love the tone. but, everyone around here has a p bass, so i wasn't crazy about the body shape, and because i'm a real big guy, so a p bass would look alittle funny on me. so i was thinking that i would build a warmoth p/j in a jazz body. so i was looking at that idea, but then i realized that i'm going to end up spending alot more money than i'd like to on it. so then i realized the other day, that i could just buy a used jazz bass, and a j bass pickguard with a p pickup routing from warmoth, and go with that.

so this is my question: if i bought a j bass pickguard from warmoth that was routed for a p pickup, could i put that on the bass to get the right location for the p pickup. and would these pickup locations be "correct" according to standard p/j configurations? please let me know. thanks.

2. Isn't the P Bass body bigger then the jazz ?

Anywho, do what you want to do. you want a P get a P. don't care about what others have, get what YOU want.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm not 100% sure but I believe that Warmoth PJ placement on J bodies are "correct.*" It should work.

*P in in Standard P position & the J in the standard 60's J bridge position.

4. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Yes, it's in "stock" P position as it would be on a P bass. This involves a slight change to the shape of the pickguard, however, and also pushes the control plate down towards the edge of the body around 1/16". This means you'll have to dowel (/toothpick) your control plate holes and re-drill them for our pickguard to fit.

Actually, you might have to get a new control plate, too, as Fender plates have been made with two different angles where they meet the 'guard, and our JBass pattern is currently out of whack with newer Fender plates. Honestly, sometimes we think they change these things just to mess with us...

5. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    okay...could i just cut the part of the pickguard to fit the angle of the control plate and not have to redrill anything?

6. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Probably not... the bottom edge of this pickguard comes farther down toward the bridge than a stock one, and as a result, we had to move the control plate down just a bit to make the pickguard line up with it. Your controls will still fit with the plate moved, but you likely will need to move the mounting holes for it.

A lot less work involved here than in routing the body for the P, so I wouldn't expect this to complicate things much.

7. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    hmm...so all i'd have to do is route the body for the p pickup, and redrill the 3 holes for the control plate?