1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Warranty & Neck Sanding

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by awilkie84, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Hey,

I have a 3mo old Fender Dimension bass (under warranty) and the neck feels like it has little things stuck to it that roll along the neck as I move my hand. Kind of feels like what eraser shavings are like when sitting on paper after you rub off a mistake.

My question is this. Can I steel wool, or sand the neck down to bare wood, without voiding my warranty?

2. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Sounds like you have something on the neck. I'd clean it really well with rubbing alcohol or something of that nature.

If you sand the neck you will void the warranty.

3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

If you use fine enough steel wool, they won't even be able to tell you did it. At that point, I don't see how it would unless you told them you did it, as they will generally find any reason not to honor the warranty. You could even take a regular paper bag that you'd see at a grocery or liquor store and run it up and down the back...that would probably do the trick and be less abrasive than scotch brite or 0000 steel wool. Of course, if you've never done it I'd consider erring on the side of caution, but it's really not that big a deal. Just start with the paper bag and then see how that works.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If it's under warranty and is unacceptable, send it back for correction.

5. rujulian

rujulian Guest

Apr 24, 2014
    Sounds like the moisture from your hands is pulling out the grain from the neck.

6. It's a sealed neck

7. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Is it dead skin from your palm rubbing off?

JGbassman likes this.
  8. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    This would be my guess. Or dirt on the back of the neck from sweat and hand oils

Gilmourisgod and tangentmusic like this.
  9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    It's just dirt and skin oil goobering up as your hand moves along. Clean the neck good and wash your hands before playing. Gloss poly necks are always a little "sticky", some people use a little talc on the hands. After the warranty expires, buff it out to satin with a scotchbrite pad, not steel wool. That stuff leaves particles everywhere that migrate onto your Pickups. Nasty stuff

10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Just a build up of grunge. A cloth dampened with a bit of detergent and water should clean that up. If it's still there, use a touch of naphtha on a cloth, then wipe clean. Ronsinol lighter fluid is naphtha.

11. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    According to Zippo, who bought out Ronsonol, it no longer contains naphtha. However the MSDS filed in 2010 says it contains 30% Hydrotreated light naphtha. There seems to be conflicting information available - not sure what to believe. The MSDS for Coleman Latern Fuel shows 100% naphtha.