1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Warranty used to be transferable, now it isn't? Do you care?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TB24, Mar 30, 2017.

1. It Matters, wont buy one without it.

5.1%
  2. It matters, but not a deal breaker. I may still buy it

29.5%
  3. Doesn't matter at all. - I see. I like. I buy.

65.4%
  1. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Was on the Fender website today and came across this posting that effective Jan 01, 2017 what used a be a FIVE year TRANSFERABLE warranty, is now only TWO years, and NON-transferable. When I first saw it, I found myself having a feeling of disappointment in Fender... and honestly I don't know why as I don't even have any used gear purchased after Jan 01 lol. But it made wonder what my fellow bassers think, and does anyone even care? How much does warranty play into your decision making process for acquiring new or used basses or guitars?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Like the Fender's I have, and don't care about the warranty. If I buy one second hand, I know what to look for and wouldn't need the warranty anyway.

3. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I rarely buy new basses anyway.

Last week, I bought a bass that was thought to be a 2014 model, but turned out to be a 1999. After sone thought, and with the option to return it for a full refund, I decided to keep it. It sounds great and with some TLC, it will play great. So in a roundabout way, I'm happy.

gebass6 and TB24 like this.
  4. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    I think the 5 year transferable warranty was fairly generous.
    I had to know someone to get my '07 2nd owner Custom Classic Jazz neck replaced.

penguineman and TB24 like this.
  5. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I've been considering getting a Rumble combo, but with the lessening of the warranty, it makes me wonder if there's going to be problems down the road.

TB24 likes this.
  6. You'd think by the time an instrument is being sold as pre-owned any manufacturing defects would have shown themselves - and it's then on the buyer to check the instrument out before buying.

tbz, baileyboy and TB24 like this.
  7. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    So you'd get a better warranty buying a used Fender originally purchased in 2015 or 2016 than you would buying a new Fender purchased in 2017. Interesting.

8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I don't see myself ever buying a new Fender (or new enough used to still be covered) again anyway. So probably won't affect me.

9. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    That's kind of what I was thinking as well Lownote38. We tend find gear that excites us, and we have to have it, no matter what.

Lownote38 and twinjet like this.
  10. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Great to hear Geri O. Must have been weird to find out your 2014 was a 1999 model. You should post a picture if you get the chance.

11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    ALL warranties should be transferable. They should be putting the warranty on the item, not the buyer.

JRA, GregC and TB24 like this.
  12. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Yes sadly, that seems to be what it boils down with high end models... not just something you buy a spare part for down the street. Also sometimes those warranties are used as selling motivators to motivate people to buy guitars with longer warrenties. Glad you knew someone who could help.

Callused Finger likes this.
  13. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    That was one of my thoughts as well steamthief, wondered if the quality was going down.

14. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Exactly.... "Things that make you go hmmm"

steamthief likes this.
  15. Most products out there in the general market seem to be "non-transferable". Notsomuch with big ticket items like cars, but you can't buy a used espresso machine at a garage sale and expect to get it serviced under warranty.

16. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Agree Dave. It should be like a car... either its under warranty or its not... regardless of the owner.

17. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Why not?

If it's got a 1 year warranty on it and it's only 8 months old, seems to me like it should be covered for another 4 months.

TB24 likes this.
  18. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Sadly you are correct Jimmy, but when you have been used to certain expectation, does make you wonder they would drop it from 5 years down to 2 years...

19. Chances of that working out, unless you also got the original packaging and receipt when you bought it, are usually quite slim. I would think.

20. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Of course. What you're saying is totally normal, but that's the point I'm making. Why is that the norm? Why isn't the item under warranty once it changes hands? It seems like a cop out by the manufacturers to me. The item has the warranty, not the buyer.

JimmyThunder likes this.