Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Wear and Tear

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikarre, May 30, 2004.

1. mikarre

mikarre Guest

There aren't many things cooler looking that a well worn Fender P or J bass. Ya know, the paint all rubbed away where your arm rests, a little playing induced nick here and there, etc. I am wondering if my MIM Fender is going to wear like that, or if the finish is too different to get the same effect as the bass ages.

2. I think that goes for any new Fender, not just a MIM. Their new finishes are apparently much harder to wear than the old nitrocellulose laquer. And to many the sound is less crisp and defined. Ahh well, that sucks.

3. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Thats why Fender made the Highway 1 series. They have a thin nitro satin somthing-or-the-other finish thats supposed to "relic" quickly. I think its a cool idea. Nuttin cooler than a beat all to hell P or J.

4. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    I would hesitate to assume the Highway 1 finish was conceived with "quick relic" in mind - it was meant to be done cheaply, to keep the price of the axe down. Of course, the relic "benefit" would be a great marketing ploy. These finishes noticable softer and very easy to dent, primarily because they are very thin.

There are a lot of MIA guitars and basses that are now made where the primary difference from the more expensive lines is the cheaper finish. The Highway 1 Strat series was Fender's response to the cheaper MIA Gibson Les Paul, SG and Flying V with the "worn" finishes. The "worn" really signifies shoddy, unpolished, thin finish and substandard cosmetics and match for the underlying wood.