Fender woods/trust rods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Can someone tell me......................................
    1:Are the wood on fenders that are made in America (mia) that much better/different than the woods on the fenders that are made in Mexico, or Japan? why would one buy a mia over a mij or mim?

2:Why is the trust rod adj on the mia basses on the bottom of the neck vs the top of the neck for there other models.
  2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well I'll try to give a feeble answer...I think the MIA basses are made better (stupid answer)...

and it's "truss" rod :)
  3. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    It Depends.... for brands like Fender, where the basses are manufactured in a factory, machinery, you have to try them out.. I've played MIMs (Stock) that were way better than some MIAs I've played. Many people will agree with me on the fact that many MIJs are better or up to par with the MIAs. you have to try them out to see which one you really like..

Fenders are all about the setup.

4. Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA

yes, ash is a much better sounding wood than the poplar used on pre 2000 MIM jazz basses. non-clear coat MIAs use Alder instead, as do newer MIM basses, so in those cases the body wood is the same. The sunburst MIM uses a veneer over poplar though I believe, which isn't the best for tone although it does look nice.

if it's a reissue of a pre75 instrument chances are the truss rod adjustment is by the pickguard since that's where they used to be. If it's newer than that and not a reissue it should be on the head stock.
  5. Many bassists, and moreso guitarists, have a snob thing about that little part of the headstock decal that says "Made In USA".
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I liked the phrase, I saw on a previous thread :

"In Rod we Trust!!" ;)
  7. I recently bought a made in mexico fender jazz 5 string , I tried a made in America first but found the slightly narrower neck on the mim nicer to play.

Price was not an issue for me , I would have happily paid the £400 extra :eek: for the MIA if I had preferred it.

Here's a funny thing though , if the American ones are better , why is the Fender Custom shop in the Mexican factory ? :)
  8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Quick answers:
    1: MIA have better woods, graphite reinforced neck, rolled fingerboard edges, countoured body shape, better tuners and better bridge.

I bought MIA over MIM.

2: Just because.
  9. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Quality of wood: not alder vs. poplar

alder vs. alder (read on)

This is a question I've been wondering for a good while.

I have heard from my guitar guys that basses that are more expensive are made with a cut of wood in a tree that is closer to the center. Aparently this is what they used to make the classic fenders out of (60's & 70's). I kinda wonder what's the difference :confused:

I occasionally hear say from sadowsky that they start with the woods and work their way around (which makes me wonder is this theory making the difference - look at the price and selling rate of sadowsky).

But today with companies like fender I've heard that they use the enitre tree using the parts towards the center for more expensive basses and the woods on the other parts of the tree for the other basses.

It's definetly the more economical things to do but what quality of wood are we getting when we go and purchase a MIJ or MIM or even a fender for that matter (are fender using a cheaper wood to create basses)
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's near the body on the RBV which is made in the US! I think this can be a bit of a pain, as it is easy to damage the pick guard when using a long allen key. It's probably better for it to be by the headstock on basses with a pick guard.
  11. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    You gotta find what you like!

Crappy tuners or not!

don't like em? change em!;)