Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender "Zone" Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Nov 17, 2003.

1. I wandered into my fav guitar store today and they had this Fender "Zone Bass." Played really nice, thin neck, light weight, great sound I thought. Supposedly they're made in Fender's factory in Mexico... cheap labor so you get a decent instrument for under $500. I dunno, but it played and sounded pretty good for the price-- just had the "feel" --pick it up and go with it, if you know what i mean. What do you think?

2. What kind of pups does it have? If you like fenders I am sure it is a fine instrument.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Fender Zone sells for under $500? WHat?

4. i didnt realize they still made them, id be interested in trying one just outta curiosity.

5. http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0135800

This is the one i played.. $498. i don't think it was mismarked. i was impressed, which is unusual for me -- unless i pick up some really nice bass (which i can't afford) i'm not normally impressed... "yeah, it's a bass" maybe i was just having a good day, heck the thing even sounded good in the Crate combo amp they use for demos :)

6. These are good basses, throw a set of duncan replacement pups in and you will have yourself a real player!

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. I keep seeing the black ones with off white trim for $629... they play well, but I wasn't too impressed with the sound.

8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I owned one and really liked it. I sold it to move to a Precision. Now I regret selling it. :bawl:

9. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    The Deluxe American Zone ( below) looks like an extremely
    nice instrument; up there with the big boys.
    If you liked the Zone you played, grab it!

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    You sure that wasn't one of them "Aerodyne" Models?

11. yeah, maybe i can trade in the "free" gig bag for some other stuff like pickups or something. this is a cool place. i was in there several months ago messing around and they had this leftover yamaha display thing that looked a little like a podium or something, anyway i thought i could use it as a stand for efx or something in house (put my tuner on it) anyway it had a big yamaha logo on it, which was why i wanted it -- heh heh. so, the other day i walked in and the owner said "if you want it you can have it!" you lose stuff like that when you buy online...

12. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    The other bassist at my church owns one, and last Sunday it sounded gorgeous, it sung, he ran it through my EBS HD350 and EBS 4x10, the first time I was so impressed by the bass. (His is all stock). Even if it wasn't running through such a good setup, I'd still say its a good value. Personally the color isn't for me though.

13. AH, YES. Aerodyne. I'm sorry, I got the two confused. How's the neck on the zone? How wide at the nut, really. Is it more like a J neck or a P neck?

14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  15. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    HEY! Isn't this just a reissue of the Precision Lyte?

P-Lyte was a great bass, man!

16. this is the made in mexico version, lots less $$ than the US one. it says "mexico" on Fender's web site. very fast, thin neck, and the instrument itself is very light weight -- easy to play. it's just my preference on this one. comes in a few colors, but i'm not too fussy there, it's the sound i'm really looking for.

17. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    here are photos of both a P-Lyte form the 80s and a MIA Zone bass - both small photos but I tried to get'em the same size. pups are slightly different, otherwise...

here's the precision lyte.

18. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    and the Zone...

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats the zone i like, the american, havent tried the mexican.

20. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    the zone bass is actually the only fender bass that i like the looks of. ive never heard or play one, but it sure does look nice. alder, string thru body...i dont think you can go too wrong. you said it sounds good, so the pickups must be fine.

looks like something i might would buy if i wasnt already saving for a new amp.

i like the way that the eq knobs are smaller than the main volume knobs. that was a good idea.