Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Zone vs. Fender Aerodyne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MotoClip, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Fender Deluxe Zone Bass

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. Fender Schmender

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  1. I think the Aerodyne is very classy looking so I voted for it, though I can see where the active EQ on the Zone might come in handy.

Mike

2. i played a zone and i loved it. id go for zone.

3. oh...its MIM...iv only played MIA...whoops ^_^

4. Yeah the MIA kinda knocks it out of the aerodyne's price range.

5. I haven't played either one, so just going by looks I'd take a Zone. I like the P-style body a little more and I like the fact that you can get it in Sienna sunburst. I love any kind of sunburst. The fact that it's active doesn't add or take away anything as far as I'm concerned.

BTW, it's tied right now. 3 each for the Zone and Aerodyne, one for Fender Schmender. :p

Mike

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Zone. I love it. Great bass.

7. I think the Aerodyne is one of the classiest looking Fenders ever. It seems to be inspired by a custom guitar/bass set ZZ Top had done, and also by a mid-80's Ibanez, the Roadstar II RB960BK, of which I have been a proud owner since buying it new in 86. I was my first real bass, and the one with which I have played every show I've ever done, though this will change now that I have gone to a Lakland 55-94 as my main bass. I made an entry or three on the "Favourite Ibanez Bass" thread about the instrument. Any interested parties can check out pix there. Though both instruments are black with white binding, the giveaway IMHO is the nearly unique arched top that they both share. I have never seen another bass with this particular feature; in fact I'm not even sure that the ZZ Top instruments had it. Not that they would admit taking inspiration from another company's instrument, especially a Japanese one who built their business copying Fenders. Even if the instrument is an obscure one that was made for less than a year, and then only in fairly limited numbers (it was their flagship bolt-on, essentially a bolt-on version of their neck through Musician, which by 85 had become a much cooler looking instrument than the late 70's/ early 80's ones Sting made famous. These later Musicians still sounded great too, and are a steal if you can find a good one. So is the RB960, but they are even rarer. Anyway, look at the Aerodyne and my pix and decide for yourself. Inspired by Ibanez or not, I love the look of the Aerodyne, and want one bad even though we already have a 99 MIA Jazz. Goddamn GAS....

8. I think that J should have 2 J's and not a P J configuration, J's were ment to have J's in them, it's what makes them sound like J's damnit.

Oh and by the way, J:D

9. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I love the looks of the aerodyne, so I will have to vote for it.

10. TWISTED

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    I also am opposed to P/J basses. I would get either a P or a J. My reason for this is the split coils of the P hum cancel each other. And the two single coils on a J can be wired to hum cancel each other. But the one J on a P/J usually creates unwanted noise.

11. Just got a Aerodyne and think it's fabulous. For some reason I don't get any hum at all no matter what pickup I have selected. I think these are normal passive pickups, so this is a bit puzzling. Any ideas anyone?

12. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The J in my P/J bass is a humbucker, not single coil (Dimarzios). Think that's the case with this one?

By the way, tone-wise, these are two very different basses that shouldn't even be compared. Very different sounds serving two different purposes.

13. I love the classy looks of the Aerodyne, I'm thinking of one for my next bass so I voted for that

14. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I'm going to be a faithful rebel and write in a vote for an MTD bass. Why? Because they're just so darned nifty that everyone should try them.

RB

:p

15. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    I fell in love when I first saw pictures of the Aerodyne, and out of love when I first played it at my local guitar shop. It makes a really pretty picture, but nothing about the bass itself really stuck out as 'great' for me. Kinda neat, but not worth $629 to me, though one man's junk is another man's treasure.

In four or five years these will be a great deal when they start showing up for $250-$350 on the used market (remember the Precision 'Lyte'?).

seriously, though, don't spend $600-700 based on some poll results.. go to a guitar shop and try them both.. even if you have to spend a day and $75 on gas to get to one, it sure beats spending $600 and risking disappointment.

best of luck! :D

Anthony

16. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Never played the Aerodyne but have owned the Zone. It's a decent bass for the $$$. Nothing great, just decent. On the other hand I've heard mixed results on the Aerodyne, some folks love em, most don't. Gotta remember, MIM basses are a crapshoot, quality control is shoddy IMO. Some are fabulous and will give the MIA a run for their money and some are just flat out crap. Make sure to try a bunch out before you buy one. :)

17. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    isn't the Aerodyne MIJ?

18. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yes. Fender's site confirms this.

Dan

19. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I used to work at a music store. I tried to hate the aerodyne, for having a p/j setup (I hate p/j setup) and basswood body, but I played it and became a believer. Definately seemed more vintage sounding than it's"hi-fi" looks, but it was super smooth looking sounding and playing. I now really like the aerodyne bass.

I think the zone basses are boring. They look like some other companies copy of a fender. They don't sound bad, but nothing about them said "buy me". It looks like fender is just rehashing the p-lyte series, which-except for the deluxe version- was a fairly ordinary instrument. I say go with the aerodyne!

As always be sure to play before you buy. People always advise this with MIM's or MIJ's, but unless you have a great return plan or a great relationship with an online store, you should always play a bass before you buy!