Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender "ZONE"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LarryJ, Nov 11, 2002.

1. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Like many of "us", I saw in Frontline & read review in BP...

Looks very fine & interesting to me!
    Anybody out there have one or played one yet?

C'mon wake up! It's 4:30 AM here in LA!!:D

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I haven't tried it, but I agree that it looks like a fine bass. I've never been a fan of "Fendery" Fender basses; the standard Js and Ps have always seemed blocky and clumsy to me, but I really like their non-traditional basses, like the P-lyte bass with P/J setup. I'd love to give this one a whirl.

3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I love the neck, vibe, & feel of my '69 P-Bass-
    but other than that very awesome axe, I haven't liked many of the Fender basses I've had a chance to play!
    The ZONE looked very tight to me- looks like
    Fender is getting with the program of high-end
    exotic wood, active electronic, etc basses-That's a GOOD thing!

4. ...but, of course, there will always be a market for the classics.

5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    ...& it looks like you have one, too!!:D

7. Dang. It's 2:53 out here in Hawaii.

Hawaii sucks...I'm surrounded by a frickin ocean :D

8. the neck on the US Deluxe Zone looks suspiciously like that on the US Jazz Deluxe (1 1/2"" nut width, trussrod access at body, large post lightweight Schaller tuners, 22 frets without overhang, downsized headstock)- but there's no info on whether there's graphite reinforcement as on the US Deluxe (and standard) Jazzes (and P's).
    ?

the neck on the standard Zone (MIM?) resembles the old Precision Lyte (trussrod access at headstock, 22frets with overhang, small post Gotoh tuners).

9. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    74Rick- Wow- Your Dad's bass- that's awesome-see I'm from an older generation & the very thought of my old man (he's 90!!-tough old bird)
    with a bass-wow! He does like Dixieland jazz though- That must be way cool-Father & son Bass-playing- "Son, I think we should take the preamp out of the 'Rick!!" Love It!:)

Garrett- I feel your pain, man- The terrible sound the crashing waves must make as they hit the puresoft sand beaches in the dawn- Horrible!

MTR- Fender doesn't indicate if the neck is graphite truss-rod re-inforced, but I'd wager ....
    Also, I like the 18-volt preamp & laminate body-
    Just another "possession" I would like to own-
    well, play actually.

Are these things in the stores yet??

10. I have had the good fortune to play a Zone Deluxe at the Bass Place here in AZ. Very nice. It's basically a tricked-out high-end version of the P-lyte. I do agree with the BP review that there should be an active/passive switch, and the battery placement could be a little bit easier to facilitate changing, but the neck is supafast, and more than one source has told me that yes, it is graphite reinforced. Of course, Fender world HQ is in nearby Scottsdale and I do run into a few of their staffers here & there...

11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    :rolleyes:

12. Ya, it's cool to have a bass playing dad, we can go into musicstop (our local music chain) and play all the basses and then talk about which ones we like and/or disliked. also, It's great hearing all the storys about his previsly owned gear (he's 45 and I'm 15) like when he told me about his first P-bass.
    He was using a short-scale telebass copy before that. He bought the P-bass (saved up $500, which as you know, was enough in those days, 1974) and then drove to a gig that night. He the biggest blisters by the end of the night because the tighter string tension! LOL!

later
    and sorry for getting WAY off-topic.

13. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    No way is it off topic, its all about the Bass!
    But, Man-I'm getting OLD! (Good thing I'm real immature though-ask my wife!:D )

I worked for a VERY brief time at Guitar Center;don't wanna even talk about it; but
    I remember a guy about your age came in with his Dad, about my age, to buy a 5-string. His Old Man was a drummer, and I thought that was really
    great.

I think with your dad's support and your knowledge, you got a lot of advantages-enjoy them!
    And of course your classic 'Rick-
    Peace-
    LNJ

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I just read the article on the "ZONE" Bass on BP and it looks fabulous.. i wanna give that a try

DM