1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jun 4, 2001.

1. So i would like to have a fretless 5 string in my arsenal. So, me, the biggest advocate against fender is actually considering getting a Fender MIM Deluxe(Active or not) and 5 string of course, then going to Warmoth and getting a replacement fretless neck. I figure Ebony fingerboard and i haven't decided on the neck wood yet. Anyone know if for that model i would need to get the neck with the truss rod adjustment on the peghead with a heel width of 2-3/4" or the normal neck they offer? Also, does Warmoth also put a nut on the neck? And would i need the Nut Width to be 1-3/4" or 1-7/8"? Thanks

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If & when you order the neck, you have to tell them that you have a MIM 5 string. The usual neck they offer is for the American DLX basses. The MIM have one or two fewer frets & the width @ the heel is different.

<b>Taken from the Fender site:
    <u>Amreican DLX</u></b>
    <i>No. of Frets 22 Medium Jumbo Frets
    Width @ Nut 1.875" (47.6 mm)</i>

<b><u>Mexican DLX</u></b>
    <i>No. of Frets: 20
    Width @ Nut: 1.875" (47.6 mm)</i>

It didn't say anything about the width @ the heel of the neck but I beleive it's different. You should have no problem getting this neck.

NOTE:The Warmoth neck is alittle heavier than the Fender neck because it has Steel bars to sabilize the neck. It DOES balance very well.

Warmoth <u>does not</u> install the nuts on the neck. I beleive they can put the truss rod adjustment on top. When I ordered my neck, I got the 1 7/8 & I like it.

Good luck!!!!