Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jun 4, 2001.

1. So i would like to have a fretless 5 string in my arsenal. So, me, the biggest advocate against fender is actually considering getting a Fender MIM Deluxe(Active or not) and 5 string of course, then going to Warmoth and getting a replacement fretless neck. I figure Ebony fingerboard and i haven't decided on the neck wood yet. Anyone know if for that model i would need to get the neck with the truss rod adjustment on the peghead with a heel width of 2-3/4" or the normal neck they offer? Also, does Warmoth also put a nut on the neck? And would i need the Nut Width to be 1-3/4" or 1-7/8"? Thanks
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If & when you order the neck, you have to tell them that you have a MIM 5 string. The usual neck they offer is for the American DLX basses. The MIM have one or two fewer frets & the width @ the heel is different.

<b>Taken from the Fender site:
    <u>Amreican DLX</u></b>
    <i>No. of Frets 22 Medium Jumbo Frets
    Width @ Nut 1.875" (47.6 mm)</i>

<b><u>Mexican DLX</u></b>
    <i>No. of Frets: 20
    Width @ Nut: 1.875" (47.6 mm)</i>

It didn't say anything about the width @ the heel of the neck but I beleive it's different. You should have no problem getting this neck.

NOTE:The Warmoth neck is alittle heavier than the Fender neck because it has Steel bars to sabilize the neck. It DOES balance very well.

Warmoth <u>does not</u> install the nuts on the neck. I beleive they can put the truss rod adjustment on top. When I ordered my neck, I got the 1 7/8 & I like it.

Good luck!!!!