1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by west*coast*bass, Mar 22, 2006.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Hey all, I want to get some opinions in here...

I have a few bucks to drop and I want to get an inexpensive 4 string to bang around on. I have a couple of choices and am wondering what you guys and gals think.

I have narrowed it down to either a Geddy Lee Jazz or a Deluxe P-Bass Special.

Now, I know this is not an apples to apples comparison; the Geddy is a traditional passive Jazz, the P Special is an active PJ. Take the active electronics out of the picture and give me your opinions.

I have done my homework - both basses have the same neck and the same body wood. I was just wondering what the general consensus is...

Thanks in advance...

2. Mark -

If it were my decision to make, I'd go with the P Bass special just to have max versatility in one 4-banger.

Don't get me wrong -- from what I understand, the Geddy is a great bass but if you are looking for something "just to bang around on," why not get something that gives you as many tonal options as possible?

Just my .02

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Geddy.. No brainer

4. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Ok, 2 responses so far and we are dead even...:meh:

5. check your PM

6. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Replied...

7. the geddy lee .. I went to guitar center today and the geddy played and sounded better than the stingray and the american pbass that I tried also.

8. Another option is to buy a Yamaha BB614 (Active four-banger) and swap out the preamp.

Unless you simply HAVE to have a Fender, this option would cost you about the same as a Geddy or a P-special. (FWIW, if I were in your shoes and looking exclusively at Fenders, I'd go for the Reggie Hamilton sig but that's not on your list :rollno: )

And you ARE a "Yamaha-Guy", are you not? ;)

9. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

You know I looked at the RH and the difference in price is about $200. Basically you get a drop tuner for $200. I can do better on the open market.

10. I just got the P-Bass Special (the Mexican) and so far, I'm really happy with it. I usually play a Rick and wanted something with a bit of a different sound. So far, I am really happy with the tone and feel. I don't know about the Geddy Lee bass (anything with Geddy's approval can't be a bad choice). I chose the P-Bass Special because of the tonal versatility with the additional Jazz pickup.

11. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    You have to play them both. The right choice will be immediately apparent (to you). Since the is a personal choice my opinion may hold no reality for you. I have small hands, Jazz wins every time.

12. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    If tonal variety in a Fender is what you are after, how about the Fender Jag? I just got one. It has the same neck and pickups as the Geddy Lee, but it also has the option of switching between passive and active mode. This gives the Jag a very, very wide range of tones. There are several threads around here regarding the Jag. I've never owned an authentic Fender P, but a few people around here have remarked how the active circuitry on the Jag can produce P like tones. Other people have remarked how the Jag sounds just like a Geddy in passive mode.

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    No, you haven't done your homework.:D Only the Jaguar shares the same sized neck as the Geddy. It's a smaller version of the standard jazz "C" neck.

14. Have you guys ever played a Jag? :rolleyes:

It doesn't have the same size neck as a Geddy.......

Nothing does.

15. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    [​IMG]

A little GAS to make you think harder about that Fender P Deluxe ;)

16. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    +1

17. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    philzbass:

I stand corrected. I have a Jag. I don't have a Geddy Lee and the only time I played one was over a year ago. I based my comment on several previous threads regarding the Jag. I might be wrong, but I thought I saw some posts either here or on different forums that said the Jag had the Geddy neck. The Fender site supports what you are saying. They state only that the Jag has a "1-Piece Maple, Thin “C” Shape, (Gloss Polyurethane Finish)" neck. Nothing about it being a Geddy neck. Perhaps it is quite similar?

Anyway, if a wide variety of tone is equally or more important to west*coast*bass than the size of the neck, then he ought to check out the Jag. It's in the same price range as the Geddy and at least the neck is similar in some respects.

18. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    morf, on a semi-related note, how does that Behringer BX1200 sound? I'm contemplating getting one.