Fenderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ric5, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
  2. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Cool birds!
    Mine
    fbsc.gif

fbpup.gif
    topview.gif
    Sorry about my dog's ass exposed
    fullview.gif

3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    does anyone actually make these?

And lakland made a freakin bird??!

dcp_3615.jpg

Ric5 likes this.
  4. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
  5. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
  6. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    I guess it depends on what your definition is

By materials terms it's a mahogany Tbird body & pickups with a bolt on maple Pbass neck.

Yes the Epi bird does not have a Pbass neck, but is a bolt on maple neck. It's close except for the rosewood fingerboard and Tbird shape

So looks wise no the Epi is not a Fenderbird, but soundwise it's going to be close.

I guess really though, sound wise, one needs to use real vintage chrome Tbird pickups (as I did) With a slab Tbird body and REAL Fender Precision neck (which is what I did)

The Modern Tbirds pups are close to the vintage birds, the epi being less so, but again in the ball park.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I guess my definition was more of an esthetic one (like what yours looks like) but materials wise the Epi is pretty much identical

8. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    I have known people who have built them with MM pickups or J and they end up sounding like a MM or j bass that looks like a Fenderbird.

The sonic version needs a mahogany body, bolt on maple neck and T bird pups. What it does really is give the more warm vintage bird sound a brightness & snap that the Tbird does not possess. Also it has the warmth, low end & growl of a Tbird, that with the strength of the maple neck.

Really though When you listen to my bird, it has an Alembic quality to it. It's no secret that high end bass builders like to use mahogany as a core wood with maple tops & necks. It makes a heavier bass, but the warmth of the sound is amazing and the maple allows it to cut through the mix vs blending in mix like a Tbird

I believe that's what Entwistle discovered, maple & mahogany are a great combination for bass and no it does not sound muddy!

Count Bassie likes this.
  9. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Did you make your birds body yourself or did you get it from someone else?

10. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    Originally I bought a Warmoth body that I had a guy f&%^k up. The warmoth neck routs are wrong, not far enough in the body, so you need gorilla arms and even worse neck dive!

I went and bought a huge single piece of Honduran (genuine) mahogany for $65 from a local wood place and traced the body from the warmoth, cut it out on a bandsaw at work, sanded the sides and found a REAL luthier that did the rest. He then knows a guy who did the paint.

The second body cost me $465 for the, wood, luthier doing the routing of the pickups & neck pocket $200) and the guy who painted it ($200)

The luthier did an amazing job setting it up on top of it (included in the price)

It was his idea to angle the neck block and use countersunk screw ferules instead of a neck plate.

ferrule.gif

I was going to paint it black like the original, but the single piece of mahogany was too nice to over, so the painter mimicked a vintage Tbird/Firebird tobacco burst, using a touch of amber dye in the center to pop the grain.

11. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    I found all vintage parts from Ebay, the neck is a 78 Precision and the bridge, knobs & pickups are from vintage Tbirds

pbass.gif

First two piece African Mahogany warmoth body
    layout.gif

12. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    The warmoth body that was f&@#ked in so many ways

bluebirdfe.gif

He routed the pickup cavities too big, the two piece bridge intersected with the warmoth control cavity rout (not his fault), knobs out of line and he painted it the wrong color!

I wanted Lake placid blue!

I was going to give up after that, but some friends told me to give it a break, then an ex pitter gave me the new luthier's contact and after TWO YEARS frpm when I started, I had the bass. Oh and the luthier got it done in about a month & half!

What's best is it sounds & plays as good as it looks.

13. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    You have an excellent Fenderbird. I've thought about buying one of the Epi birds and using the body and hardware off of them now that you can get them new for $299

14. Barkless Dog, I've admired that bass for a while here. What is the advantage of having the neck pocket on an angle? Also did you do the pickguard with the buzzard logo? Is it engraved? Thanks.

Basenjis are great dogs, BTW.

15. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    Thanks, You need a slight neck pocket angle for the low action and Gibson bridge.

The angle on the back of the neck heel feels better for allowing better upper fret access

I designed the logo merging a John Enwistle Buzzard with a T bird logo. I drew it by hand then scanned it in photoshop, then converted it to a vector file in Illustrator.

The pickguard was laser engraved by terripinguitars.com. He then back filled the engraving with black epoxy, so it will be tough to remove versus paint.

buzzardJEB.gif

BUZZPINCH.gif

16. Wow, you and your luthier did a great job on the whole bass.

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    I resorted to making my own ... I start with a t-bird body and add the p-bass neck ... pretty sinple actually ... except I also make them into 5 string basses.:bassist:

18. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    That's the bass he used to record quadraphenia, some consider John's best work. Really nice bass. I believe Michael Dolan did that one.

That & the black & white on, people remember the most.

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    I forgot about this thread that I started a while ago.

Here's my newest one ...
    5s%20027.jpg

This one looks like a Lemmy bass.
    5s%20016.jpg

This one has the classic Quadraphenia tone.
    b%20129.jpg

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021